The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 08:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation #2 HS Hoops Team Forfeits Season......

When will they learn? So many players.....

Chicago Curie Metropolitan High, No. 2 in nation, forfeits season over academics - ESPN Chicago

Our local HS Team went undefeated a few yrs back and was expected to make waves in the states......they were declared ineligible before the first round of districts because of an ineligible player.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think that when I was in HS, the only academic requirement for sports was that you had to show up for lunch.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2014, 12:43pm
Back from the DL

Didn't anyone see "Coach Carter?" Why do some areas continue to ignore the "student" in student-athlete?

Last year, I had a BV soccer game in a small town that's typically very spirited about high school sports. The home team was facing the defending state champions.

When I got there, the mood seemed a little off. I quickly found the reason. There were 18 players on the home roster, but it was discovered that morning that eight were academically ineligible. I really felt for the head coach, who had a continuous look of disbelief in the hand he was dealt.

Long story short, the home team played the entire game with ten players. The visitors took a 3-0 halftime lead before respectfully dropping a player for the second half. (In soccer, you can go as low as seven players.) It finished 6-0, but the visitors clearly held back, and the home team put in a solid effort. It's a shame their buddies couldn't hold up their academic end of the deal.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 07:24pm
Is this a legal title?

Do we deny a kid the ability to take AP calculus because he got too many yellow cards, or because his free-throw percentage is only 44%?

That makes as much sense as not letting kids whose parents pay taxes, just as the parents of the academically talented do, play on teams supported by those taxes.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2014, 07:28pm
Is this a legal title?

"9/11 - Never Forget "

I never have: .8181818181818181818181818181818181818181818181818 181818181...
Old Thu Mar 20, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Do we deny a kid the ability to take AP calculus because he got too many yellow cards, or because his free-throw percentage is only 44%?

That makes as much sense as not letting kids whose parents pay taxes, just as the parents of the academically talented do, play on teams supported by those taxes.
Since you don't see the obvious flaw in your logic ...

It's because school's primary purpose is education. If extracurriculars are preventing a student from learning, then you take away the extracurriculars.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
When will they learn? So many players.....

Chicago Curie Metropolitan High, No. 2 in nation, forfeits season over academics - ESPN Chicago

Our local HS Team went undefeated a few yrs back and was expected to make waves in the states......they were declared ineligible before the first round of districts because of an ineligible player.
Thankfully, that does not happen in Michigan, at least not in every sport but football.

In Michigan, the only way a team is barred from a post-season event is if they used an ineligible player during the post-season.

This happened in volleyball a few years ago. A team, ranked among the best in the state, was removed from the state playoffs after winning their district.

The team they were supposed to play in the regional semi-final just got a bye to the final.

What bothered people about that situation wasn't the removal from the post-season, it was the reason the player was deemed ineligible. It had nothing to do with grades. She was a 3.9 GPA student. She had a physical a year and a week prior to the start of the season. Under MHSAA rules, all participants must have a physical dated within the last calendar year to be eligible. Since she started the season with a physical dated over a year old, she was deemed ineligible under MHSAA rules. The really bad part is the school self reported the violation after she got a physical prior to the regional games. When they looked at the date on the prior physical on file, they noticed the violation and self reported the violation. Since it occurred after the districts she was ineligible when she played in the district matches, so the team forfeited those matches, but under MHSAA rules, a replacement team is not advanced.

I think football allows a couple days if a forfeit is found after the playoffs are announced, but prior to the practices. This is because football playoffs in Michigan are only to teams that qualify based on performance. All other sports have every team make the postseason (except skiing, which requires a full team to be eligible, no individuals can compete in the post-season).
Old Wed Apr 23, 2014, 01:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

It's easy to tell which person in this thread must usually post just in the baseball forum.