The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Playoff scoldings from B. Mauer

2014 Football Bulletin 12 ? Week 13 | OHSAA Football Officials

Many of the things I have brought up are being addressed, still!

Bruce Maurer, DOD
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Don't agree that # 31 is an absolute that fits all circumstances. YES, the incomplete pass signal advises that the clock should be stopped, but depending on the specific venu variables (the lighting, the elevation, the size of the wing official, is the signal given in front of the team box, etc.) even a perfect incomplete signal may simply not be seen.

The purpose of a signal (ANY signal) is to convey a message. If adding a traditional "stop the clock" signal helps convey the proper message, in a timely manner, why not include it? Is avoidance of some innocuous redundancy more important than completing a message?

Of course, a "stop the clock" signal immediately given by the mid-field officials (Umpire or Referee) responding to a sideline "incomplete signal" likely somewhat more visible (away from sideline congestion) can be very helpful in sending the intended message to the target recipient.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree with ajmc on #31. In Colorado, the mechanic is to have the covering official signal incomplete and the remaining 4 officials to give the stop clock signal. It reduces the chances that the clock will keep running, and it makes all officials aware of the clock status.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:55am
I Bleed Crimson

From the notes:
Quote:
PE: There was a long run & B grabbed the Face Mask (5 YD). This is a simple “tack on”. For some reason the HC was asked & he declined the foul. There is no need to ask the HC.
This is one of those things we seem to argue about a lot here. We ALWAYS ask the captain. In this situation we'd probably tell him "Captain. There was a facemask. I'm sure you want us to add the 5 yards to the run, right?" IMO, it never hurts to ask.
Quote:
Catch Signal: The catch signal is never given into the field of play, only on a boundary line.
Is this an Ohio mechanic? Here in WA we have been told in no uncertain terms not to mimic NCAA mechanics (catch signal, out of bounds signal--the two hands moving to the sideline, covering official dead ball signal, etc). I don't think it is part of the NFHS mechanics book (then again, WA has issued its own mechanics manual, and I haven't seen the NFHS one in a while).

Also, we have had observers dock us for having more than 1 official signal incomplete. It means there was confusion on who was the covering official. Our mechanic is one and only one official signals incomplete.
Quote:
Signaling: We do not have 1 official signal incomplete pass, then another official signal time‐out. As we know the incomplete pass signal stops the clock. We need to have a minimum of 2 officials signal incomplete pass to the PB.
I agree with ajmc. And more. Our mechanic is that ONLY the covering official signals incomplete, and others signal timeout. Indeed, we are told to mirror timeout signals in all cases (incomplete, out of bounds, timeouts, etc). I get what they are saying, but the clock operator needs all the help he can get.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Incomplete stops the clock. Period. An off official can grab a quick glance at the clock.

I'm glad that we don't do any of this extraneous nonsense.

Hey, for once I agree with Ohio!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

I spoke too soon.

"Try‐Run or Try‐Pass: Wings do NOT signal “no score” when short of GL – the R does this. Why? What if one Wing signals “no score” & the other Wing gives the TD signal."

Really? Our covering official signals this. Confirm with the other wing first, then signal. People are looking at the covering official, not the R.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:27am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Incomplete stops the clock. Period. An off official can grab a quick glance at the clock.
It's not for us. It's for the clock operator.

Quote:
Really? Our covering official signals this. Confirm with the other wing first, then signal. People are looking at the covering official, not the R.
I agree with OH on this. If they didn't score, just blow the play dead. If they scored, signal the score. No need to confirm with the other wing at all.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
From the notes:

This is one of those things we seem to argue about a lot here. We ALWAYS ask the captain. In this situation we'd probably tell him "Captain. There was a facemask. I'm sure you want us to add the 5 yards to the run, right?" IMO, it never hurts to ask.
I'd never ask on this. Ever. Do you ask on false starts, too?

(And I always ask the sidelines on penalties.)

Quote:
It's an extraneous signal. It may help once in a few games, but since you can always put the time back on the clock, it's just not needed.

It amazes me how many mechanics are local/regional.

Quote:

I agree with OH on this. If they didn't score, just blow the play dead. If they scored, signal the score. No need to confirm with the other wing at all.
By confirm with the other wing, I mean "make sure he isn't signaling a score."
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:42am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
I'd never ask on this. Ever. Do you ask on false starts, too?
Yep. But we usually phrase it as I said. With the case of a FS, we usually say "You want it, right?"

Quote:
It's an extraneous signal. It may help once in a few games, but since you can always put the time back on the clock, it's just not needed.
Well, putting time back on the clocks is a challenge around here.

Quote:
It amazes me how many mechanics are local/regional.
In this case regarding incomplete passes, our mechanic is a statewide mechanic.

Quote:
By confirm with the other wing, I mean "make sure he isn't signaling a score."
I know what you mean. But that isn't even necessary if the wings are not signaling no-good on a try.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yep. But we usually phrase it as I said. With the case of a FS, we usually say "You want it, right?"
That's 5-10 seconds I do not take. Official gives me a prelim, I report, U steps off, we go.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:33pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
"Try‐Run or Try‐Pass: Wings do NOT signal “no score” when short of GL – the R does this. Why? What if one Wing signals “no score” & the other Wing gives the TD signal."

So in a tightly contested, overtime game with a large crowd, A attempts a run up the middle for the win and is stopped inches short of the goal. Ohio would want their wings to_______?

Run and report to R and let him signal?
Make eye contact and then communicate with R a la Aquaman?
Covering official attempt to yell over the apprehensive crowd what he's got?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
So in a tightly contested, overtime game with a large crowd, A attempts a run up the middle for the win and is stopped inches short of the goal. Ohio would want their wings to_______?

Run and report to R and let him signal?
Make eye contact and then communicate with R a la Aquaman?
Covering official attempt to yell over the apprehensive crowd what he's got?

Those circles coming out of the wing's forehead would give it away.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would think marking the dead ball spot would suffice.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Mayer must have taken a course in micromanaging 101. I get it to a certain extent, but come on. 30+ complaints on every bulletin?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Mayer must have taken a course in micromanaging 101. I get it to a certain extent, but come on. 30+ complaints on every bulletin?
It's the Stepford Officials!