The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Unrestricted lineman blocking (a little) downfield

A snaps from B's 21 yard line and LB B44 steps up in zone/spy coverage standing at B's 18 yardline when unrestricted A60 moves and blocks him at the knees from a 9 o'clock position just as A10 throws a touchdown pass from within the pocket to the left sideline.

Any foul on this play?

I called A60 an inelligible downfield, but am now thinking I should have passed on it.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Assuming NFHS rules

First, I guess I have to ask, what is an unrestricted lineman?

Unless the B44 was on the LOS and in the FBZ at the snap and the ball is still in the FBZ, it would seem you should have called A60 for blocking below the waist.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 08:20am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
just as A10 throws a touchdown pass from within the pocket
I think we're past the free blocking zone given that. Something tells me with all that verbiage, we ain't talking Fed.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Sorry wasn't fast enough with my edit yeS NCAA
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
First, I guess I have to ask, what is an unrestricted lineman?
I'm wondering about that too. The only thing I can think of is, it's not a player who due to league weight limits is not allowed to advance the ball or is restricted as to the positions he can play.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 05:13pm
TODO: creative title here

I don't think we have enough information in the OP to know if this block is legal or not.

Was B44 in the low-blocking zone when the block occurred? (7 yards to either side of the snapper, from 5 yards beyond the NZ back to team A's end line).

If so, was the ball still in the low-blocking zone when the block occurred?

If both of those are true, then the block was legal. If either one of those is not true, then the block is illegal due to a violation of the "10 o'clock to 2 o'clock" rule.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

we have plenty of information

the OP states he is slightly over 3 yards downfield, the qb throws from the pocket, soooo the block occurs within the 5 yards of the NCAA zone, and the ball is still in the zone...so the block is legal, the question was about an ineligible downfield...if it is slightly more than 3 yds I would certainly pass on it...make it a very healthy 3(like 4 or 5)
....also, the block occurs just as the qb throws a td pass...the restrictions end when the ball is released I believe your feelings are correct, you should have passed on it.....don't look for lizards on this type of play, look for big ole honkin alligators....
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Still nobody's explained what "unrestricted" means.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
When we talk about restricted and unrestricted in terms of low blocks it's referring to those who are more restricted at initiating the block. To simplify, if you are in formation outside the low blocking zone or a back in motion, you are restricted from blocking low. You can't crack back and all your low blocks have to be 10-to-2. If you are unrestricted, you are allowed to block low from 9-to-3 as long as the ball is still in the low blocking zone.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2014, 11:40pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It's a colloquial term referring to the following (9-1-6-a-1):

Quote:
1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside this zone until the ball has left the zone: (a) players on the line of scrimmage completely within this zone and (b) stationary backs who are at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper.
A low blocking zone is defined as:

Quote:
[S]even yards on each side of the snapper extending five yards beyond the
neutral zone and back to Team A’s end line
"Unrestricted" players can block below the waist of an opponent in any direction as long as the block is to the side or front, is within the low blocking zone and the ball is within the low blocking zone.

A "restricted" player is a Team A player not meeting the definition above and can only block an opponent low if the block is to the opponent's front (define as between their 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock) and cannot block low back towards the original position of the ball at the snap.

This is not an exhaustive list but it's a start.

I recommend reading the entirety of 9-1-6 to get a complete understanding of the blocking below the waist rule.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 08:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's a colloquial term referring to the following (9-1-6-a-1):

A low blocking zone is defined as:

"Unrestricted" players can block below the waist of an opponent in any direction as long as the block is to the side or front, is within the low blocking zone and the ball is within the low blocking zone.

A "restricted" player is a Team A player not meeting the definition above and can only block an opponent low if the block is to the opponent's front (define as between their 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock) and cannot block low back towards the original position of the ball at the snap.

This is not an exhaustive list but it's a start.

I recommend reading the entirety of 9-1-6 to get a complete understanding of the blocking below the waist rule.
While I'm a big fan of NCAA rules, the BBW rules are still a cluster****.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 08:39am
TODO: creative title here

Yes, they are. But they're a lot better than they were just a couple of years ago (remember the whole "adjacent sideline" fiasco?)
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 10:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
While I'm a big fan of NCAA rules, the BBW rules are still a cluster****.
Yep. Still a mess but as jTheUmp said, they're better than they were.

The description of "stationary backs who are at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper" makes me bleed from the ears.