LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 30, 2014, 07:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Arrow Vanderbilt Penalized for Illegal Uniforms

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...175404310.html
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

This seems to be a good answer to my question as to why they shouldn't just have to forfeit. If NCAA's rules are so complicated and hard to get a clear answer in advance on re what's allowed on the uniform, forfeiting a game would be ridiculous. Then again, the rules are ridiculous themselves.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Nobody is sending 30,000+ people home because of illegal uniforms.

Let the league sanction the offending schools and keep the game day officials out of it.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
This seems to be a good answer to my question as to why they shouldn't just have to forfeit. If NCAA's rules are so complicated and hard to get a clear answer in advance on re what's allowed on the uniform, forfeiting a game would be ridiculous. Then again, the rules are ridiculous themselves.
It's not the rules that are ridiculous, it's the fools who insist on trying to be really clever in doing something "special" to get around simple, basic, clear requirements. Rather than try and out-guess what some idiot thinks would be funny, and create a list of specific no-nos to put on uniforms, the rules made it really clear and simple. NO slogans, which covers, or should have, all the inventive ideas of the marketing department.

forfeit would be excessive, a good spanking or sending some marketing genious to bed without supper might do the trick.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Nobody is sending 30,000+ people home because of illegal uniforms.

Let the league sanction the offending schools and keep the game day officials out of it.
That's what my original thought had been: Play the game as normal, but then retroactively forfeit it if someone reports it to the league. Same as if they'd used ringers.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
It's not the rules that are ridiculous, it's the fools who insist on trying to be really clever in doing something "special" to get around simple, basic, clear requirements. Rather than try and out-guess what some idiot thinks would be funny, and create a list of specific no-nos to put on uniforms, the rules made it really clear and simple. NO slogans, which covers, or should have, all the inventive ideas of the marketing department.
Apparently it's not that simple, or the article wouldn't've mentioned service academies as an exception. Also, why should field officials even think about some detail like that that has no effect on the play of the game?
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

They'd have been down with "HE HATE ME" on the jerseys.

Seriously, this uniform gimmick has gone too far. If I see Penn State with some goofy unis or helmets I'll know the apocalypse has arrived.

Last edited by SWFLguy; Sun Aug 31, 2014 at 08:47pm.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Apparently it's not that simple, or the article wouldn't've mentioned service academies as an exception. Also, why should field officials even think about some detail like that that has no effect on the play of the game?
Field officials don't create rules. Military Academies are, in fact, "special" and there was a time that those who understood they were "special" didn't need to ptomote their being special, it was simply understood, so there was really no need to claim an exception.

Accepting rational standards doesn't detract from being truly recognized as "special", as that designation supercedes standards.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2014, 12:35pm
Administrator

A question from a basketball official.

I first read about this game online the morning after the game (I am sure that it was the Yahoo Sports article referenced in the OP).

As a football fan whose philosophy comes from that great college football coach, Woody Hayes: "Three things can happen when one passes the ball and two of them are bad." LOL! I found the explanation in the article lacking and found the uniform jersey shown in the articles picture quite benign.

I guess what I am asking is a somewhat technical yet geared toward the football fan explanation of the rule and how it was supposed to be applied and why the officials excepted an copy of an email sent to the coaches (and not to the officials I presume) to convince them to change their ruling?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 07:43am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... why the officials excepted an copy of an email sent to the coaches (and not to the officials I presume) to convince them to change their ruling?MTD, Sr.
COACH: "Here's a copy of what your boss sent me before the game. He said our unis were OK."

REFEREE: "Coach, you're absolutely right. I don't know why he didn't communicate that to us, but we're rescinding the penalty."
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 10:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
COACH: "Here's a copy of what your boss sent me before the game. He said our unis were OK."

REFEREE: "Coach, you're absolutely right. I don't know why he didn't communicate that to us, but we're rescinding the penalty."

I am sure the baseball umpires on this forum will tell you that a baseball coach risks getting tossed when he brings a rules book onto the field. I officiate basketball (rules interpreter) and umpire baseball and fast pitch softball, and I would not except an email to a coach from my assigner if I and my partners had not received it also. It just seems sketchy to me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am sure the baseball umpires on this forum will tell you that a baseball coach risks getting tossed when he brings a rules book onto the field. I officiate basketball (rules interpreter) and umpire baseball and fast pitch softball, and I would not except an email to a coach from my assigner if I and my partners had not received it also. It just seems sketchy to me.

MTD, Sr.
If a coach produced an email from Jerry Snodgrass (OHSAA Assistant Commissioner for basketball, for you non-Buckeyes), I doubt you would ignore it. You accept it and write the report after the game. If it's forged, that's their problem.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
This seems more like presenting a list of illegal/legal bats. That IS acceptable is it not?
Old Tue Sep 02, 2014, 01:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If a coach produced an email from Jerry Snodgrass (OHSAA Assistant Commissioner for basketball, for you non-Buckeyes), I doubt you would ignore it. You accept it and write the report after the game. If it's forged, that's their problem.
I can tell you here (Colorado), there'd be no such email from anyone at CHSAA to the coaches/ADs. Not for uniform exceptions.

That said, the NCAA is different and I'd be hesitant to extropolate anything from that.