The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 04:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Helmet for umpire

This year umpires in Texas are authorized to wear a black hockey helmet without a face shield or visor in lieu of the standard uniform cap.

If you're an umpire, would you consider wearing one? What do you all think?

Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 04:36pm
Chain of Fools

I foresee the NFL U's going to them soon. Makes a heckuva camera platform!
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. I think it's a good idea. All the emphasis is on players safety and the Umpire is right out in middle of the action. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes mandatory someday.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I'd be apt to wear one just yet.....maybe down the road when mobility really becomes an issue (and at that point, you probably shouldn't be in there anyway.) What's next, mouth guards too? I could see it being a benefit on those cold November playoff games up here in WI though.

I think I'd be more inclined to ride a segway and be like the Mall Cop guy...that's where the trouble normally lies is in the legs in the handful of times I find myself in no man's land.

It's a fast and physical contact sport, and unless you take all of the contact out, players, coaches, and officials are going to be at some sort of risk on every single play from first whistle to last whistle. Plain and simple. I do see a lot of games where it seems the crew's slowest & largest guy is in the middle, which doesn't help him.

Every time I see stuff like this I start to think how many insurance companies and lawyers have jumped into the pool, and that's no dig on either profession...just saying.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

The Arena Football League had the U wear a helmet a few years ago. It looked more like a batting helmet. Then after a few games most stopped wearing it.
Now why is there no brim allowed. Seems it could be needed in a driving rain or a sunny day.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 09:55am
TODO: creative title here

Honestly, the slow, immobile umpire is a rapidly-dying breed at the higher levels of football (NCAA D-III on up).

Personally, I don't think I would wear a hockey helmet unless I was required to do so. With good positioning and anticipation, I should be able to stay out of trouble on almost every play.
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Make more sense wouldn't it??
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post

Make more sense wouldn't it??
AFTER the game.
Old Mon Aug 25, 2014, 02:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Honestly, the slow, immobile umpire is a rapidly-dying breed at the higher levels of football (NCAA D-III on up).

Personally, I don't think I would wear a hockey helmet unless I was required to do so. With good positioning and anticipation, I should be able to stay out of trouble on almost every play.
Umpires generally stay out of trouble on most plays. It's not "most plays" where a helmet would come in handy. It's those once-a-season plays we need to think about.
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I worked 40 seasons mostly at U and can't think of any time a head injury was a concern. The only time you could really be vulnerable is if you rush into a pile too quickly to retrieve the ball. Best to stand back and let the players get out of the way before making your move.