The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal kick

I know per 9-7-1 that an illegal kick is a 15 yard penalty penalized from the basic spot.

Situation: 4th down (don't remember distance) at A 30, snap goes over punter's head and travels down to inside the 5 (center really got a lot on it), definitely in the Field of Play , when the punter illegally kicks it out of the end zone. R throws flag for illegal kick, but doesn't B (not R, since there was no legal kick) have options here that should be discussed with them?

In my head, option A) decline the penalty, take the safety. Option B) take the penalty, half the distance to the goal, replay 4th down. The WH never spoke with a B captain about this. Is this because it is assumed that they will decline the penalty and take the points or should the WH discuss the options with them?

If I am totally wrong, just tell me so I know better for when I am working my games.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
In my head, option A) decline the penalty, take the safety. Option B) take the penalty, half the distance to the goal, replay 4th down. The WH never spoke with a B captain about this. Is this because it is assumed that they will decline the penalty and take the points or should the WH discuss the options with them?
It does seem silly to repeat a down on which A could easily produce a safety anyway if they want to. The only way you don't wind up with a safety is if neither team wants one, which is a curious situation.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It does seem silly to repeat a down on which A could easily produce a safety anyway if they want to. The only way you don't wind up with a safety is if neither team wants one, which is a curious situation.
I know it may be silly to not take the points, but am I right in my thinking that B has both of those options available if they want it?
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMac View Post
I know it may be silly to not take the points, but am I right in my thinking that B has both of those options available if they want it?
Yes, you're correct. It's either a safety or the penalty is assessed from the spot of the foul, half the distance to the goal line.

There could be situations where B would rather have the penalty assessed than take the safety.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

B has options, but if I'm white hat I'll generally assume they want the safety.

If it's near the end of the game and they need a TD to win, I would ask the coach whether he wanted the safety and A's free kick from the 20 or the penalty and replay 4th down from the 2.5 YL.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

You'll never be in the wrong to ask the offended team what they want do do.
Instruct your wing officials to let the coach know, after all they should also know what the choice could be.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: this is not an illegal kick, but illegally kicking the ball. Its a ten yard penalty with a loss of down, so Team B has the option of taking the safety or accepting the penalty and putting the ball in play inside the 5, 1/10.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
You'll never be in the wrong to ask the offended team what they want do do.
Instruct your wing officials to let the coach know, after all they should also know what the choice could be.
Actually, in Ohio you WILL be wrong to ask the offended team. 98% of the time it's obvious, and Ohio wants crews to speed up penalty enforcement by enforcing the obvious. We are to ask only for the 2% where there's a real choice.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Yes, you're correct. It's either a safety or the penalty is assessed from the spot of the foul, half the distance to the goal line.

There could be situations where B would rather have the penalty assessed than take the safety.
Describe one, please.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:06am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas aggie View Post
ncaa: This is not an illegal kick, but illegally kicking the ball. Its a ten yard penalty with a loss of down, so team b has the option of taking the safety or accepting the penalty and putting the ball in play inside the 5, 1/g.
ftfy
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Actually, in Ohio you WILL be wrong to ask the offended team. 98% of the time it's obvious, and Ohio wants crews to speed up penalty enforcement by enforcing the obvious. We are to ask only for the 2% where there's a real choice.
What's the rush? About all you are going to save is about 10 seconds.

That being said... when in Rome do what the Romans do. If that's what OH wants so be it. I'll ask and I'll not be wrong especially if they want a re-kick.