The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

safety or touchdown

This is a play my crew has had a disagreement about for a couple of weeks (it is not even a play that happened to us, just a hypothetical one of us brought up in a pre-game).

Situation: 4th and 15 from K’s 10. the ball is snapped and goes over K1’s head into the endzone. K1 and R1 simultaneously recover the ball in the endzone. What is the end result of the play?

My ruling would be safety, but our BJ and U think it should be a TD for R. If you could include a rules citation or a case play I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

A kick that is jointly possessed belongs to R (6-1-5, 6-2-7), but your situation describes a muffed snap and not a kick. So a joint recovery belongs to K. The result of your play is a safety (7-4-3c).
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A kick that is jointly possessed belongs to R (6-1-5, 6-2-7), but your situation describes a muffed snap and not a kick. So a joint recovery belongs to K. The result of your play is a safety (7-4-3c).
Right -- i.e. I know what you mean -- but the designations "K" & "R" shouldn't even be used because there was no kick. The ball at the moment of joint recovery belonged to the offense.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Right -- i.e. I know what you mean -- but the designations "K" & "R" shouldn't even be used because there was no kick. The ball at the moment of joint recovery belonged to the offense.
If you're going to be picky about that, you should be picky about the term 'offense', which is defined as the team in possession of the ball. During a scramble for a loose ball, there is no offense. Team A was last in possession, which gives them possession after a joint recovery.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

That's why we use Team A and B, not offense and defense or kicking team or receiving team.

NCAA: safety.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
That's why we use Team A and B, not offense and defense or kicking team or receiving team.

NCAA: safety.
OK, but you can't state 'all but one' correctly without distinguishing the offense from A.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2011, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you're going to be picky about that, you should be picky about the term 'offense', which is defined as the team in possession of the ball. During a scramble for a loose ball, there is no offense. Team A was last in possession, which gives them possession after a joint recovery.
That's not true. The offense remains the offense until there's a change of team possession. Team possession continues while the ball is loose.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 04:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22 View Post
This is a play my crew has had a disagreement about for a couple of weeks (it is not even a play that happened to us, just a hypothetical one of us brought up in a pre-game).

Situation: 4th and 15 from K’s 10. the ball is snapped and goes over K1’s head into the endzone. K1 and R1 simultaneously recover the ball in the endzone. What is the end result of the play?

My ruling would be safety, but our BJ and U think it should be a TD for R. If you could include a rules citation or a case play I would appreciate it.

Thanks
CANADIAN RULING:

Safety.
Old Mon Oct 03, 2011, 09:19am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That's not true. The offense remains the offense until there's a change of team possession.
Actually, there is always an offense and always a defense. The offense is whichever team is in possession of the ball. This is an important distinction for all-but-one / 3-and-1 enforcement.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My initial reaction was that you're right, and I still think that, but am having an issue with the wording of the rule. So, if someone can help me wrap my head around this I'd appreciate it.

7-4-3(c): ...The ball belongs to the passing or fumbling team unless lost after fourth down if a fumble or backward pass: (c) becomes dead inbounds while opponents are in joint possession.

The "after fourth down" part is what I think I'm having the issue with. This is not "after fourth down" because it's still part of the fourth down play?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoug View Post
My initial reaction was that you're right, and I still think that, but am having an issue with the wording of the rule. So, if someone can help me wrap my head around this I'd appreciate it.

7-4-3(c): ...The ball belongs to the passing or fumbling team unless lost after fourth down if a fumble or backward pass: (c) becomes dead inbounds while opponents are in joint possession.

The "after fourth down" part is what I think I'm having the issue with. This is not "after fourth down" because it's still part of the fourth down play?
Of course. What down is it when all this happens? Fourth. Is fourth after fourth? No (unless it's Col vs Missou).

Obviously, if they recover the football on fourth down (and don't meet the LTG), then AFTER fourth down they will not have possession of the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 04, 2011, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ok. That's what I was thinking but got hung up on the wording.

Thanks!