The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Penalty on Offense - Clock run? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/79103-penalty-offense-clock-run.html)

Spence Sun Aug 21, 2011 03:38pm

Penalty on Offense - Clock run?

I'm not an official. Someone asked me about the following situation.

Late in the game. Offense winning. Right before the play clock was to expire the offense was flagged for a false start. He says that the official set the ball and then started the clock. Offense did the same thing again.

He wants to know if in high school the clock should not start until the snap on a penalty against the offense.

Thanks

Spence Sun Aug 21, 2011 03:52pm

I did some searching through the posts. Tell me I am correct for high school/FED.

Since the action that caused the clock to stop was the penalty the clock does not start until the snap. Correct?

JRutledge Sun Aug 21, 2011 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 782702)

Late in the game. Offense winning. Right before the play clock was to expire the offense was flagged for a false start. He says that the official set the ball and then started the clock. Offense did the same thing again.

He wants to know if in high school the clock should not start until the snap on a penalty against the offense.

Thanks

That is up to the Referee on this play. If they feel the act was done to manipulate the time, then it could start on the snap. But normally the clock would start on the Ready For Play (whistle and signal).

Peace

JugglingReferee Sun Aug 21, 2011 04:38pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Thanks

CANADIAN RULING:

If B is losing, they will most definitely accept the penalty, thereby causing the GC to start on the snap.

mbyron Sun Aug 21, 2011 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 782706)
I did some searching through the posts. Tell me I am correct for high school/FED.

Since the action that caused the clock to stop was the penalty the clock does not start until the snap. Correct?

No, that's not correct. Whether the clock runs after a penalty depends on how the previous down ended not on the fact that there was a penalty.

If the referee judged that the offense was trying to gain an advantage by deliberately fouling, he could start the clock on the snap. But that would be the exception, not the rule.

BktBallRef Sun Aug 21, 2011 08:04pm

Quote:

Starting the clock on the ready is the correct thing to do.

However, if the referee feels the offense is intentionally committing fouls to brun time off the clock, he can start the clock on the snap.

ODJ Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23pm

Odd your "pal" is asking you about a question on the IHSA Part 1 test.

Spence Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODJ (Post 782780)
Odd your "pal" is asking you about a question on the IHSA Part 1 test.

Ahh, a doubter.

I got this from a guy who was at a game on Friday night and says he saw this. Didn't sound right to me. I'm a basketball official so I thought I'd come here and ask.

Your answer to the posed question is what?

JRutledge Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 782878)
Ahh, a doubter.

I got this from a guy who was at a game on Friday night and says he saw this. Didn't sound right to me. I'm a basketball official so I thought I'd come here and ask.

Your answer to the posed question is what?

And if it was the case, what difference would that make? For some reason it has always been acceptable to discuss specific questions, but we cannot even ask about answers to these stupid tests. And since the IHSA test was brought up, it has been acceptable for years to go over the tests in many public ways in this state. What other states do usually does not apply here.

Peace

CT1 Mon Aug 22, 2011 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 782706)

That's exactly backward.

Since the clock was running, and was only stopped to administer the penalty, it would normally be restarted on the ready-for-play signal.

As others have mentioned, the referee has the authority to alter normal timing procedures to prevent a team from gaining an unfair advantage.