The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Derock1986

Your major problem is one of nomenclature. Get the term "center" out of your vocabulary, and out of your mind. The player is the "SNAPPER", no matter where he lines up.

Bob
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

call it what it is

[ The center snaps the ball to touch the QB hands and then tucks the ball and runs. I blew this one dead before he took 3 steps and called false start on the center. This is clearly a snap infraction because the center must release the ball in order to be a legal snap. This call I'm 100% certain! [/B][/QUOTE]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

If this is clearly a snap infraction then why not call it one ? A false start is a horse of a differant color .
Old Tue Dec 03, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good call James.

I get asked this question at least once per season.

For the snap to be legal, the ball must immediately leave the hands of the snapper. This is a deadball foul as the ball can only become live by a legal snap or free kick.

As for the eligibility of the snapper, as long as the player has a legal position and a legal number then that player is an eligible receiver. Of course, you might have a different foul for illegal numbering at the snap (need 5 players numbered between 50-79 on their line at the snap; unless the scrimmage kick formation rule exception is in effect) or an illegal position at the snap foul.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:04am
Official Forum Member

Love those the numbering requirements! If I’m working Ump or W.H. for youth league or small middle schools games I’ll always ask the coach during the pre-game talk if his team is numbered properly. I usually get that confused look that tells me he has no idea what I’m talking about. Most teams at this level don’t worry about such things and are just happy if they can field a team of players with different numbers. This can be quite trying for me as Ump when I see #4 down field on a forward pass play and I get that funny feeling he shouldn’t be there. After banging them for ineligible down field It’s a great relief when I see him come back to the line to snap the ball 8^)