The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

NFHS - Fights

A fellow crew had a game last week in which a fight broke out shortly after the game began. Apparantly, A had fumbled and one of A's RB's felt he was hit after the play was dead and came up swinging. This turned into pretty much a brawl involving several players.

My question is for those of you who have had a multi-player fight break out during the game. How did you handle it? What would you do differently if it happened again?

I plan on making this part of my pre-game, especially in games which we know a bitter rivalry exists.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Never had it, but we've always been told to try and intervene only in the initial skirmish, but when all heck breaks loose, step back and start writing numbers.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Initially you try and stop the brawl. If it turns into a multi-player fight:

1. The two wing officials should immediately go to their sidelines and keep the benches from clearing. Warn they will be ejected if they pass you, get help from coaches, etc.

2. The other crew members should be shouting, blowing whistles, etc. to try and get the team's attention.

3. All crew members should record color and numbers of the fight's participants.

I have only been involved in one and it diffused quickly with only 3 participants. But we were quick to get between the players to nip it.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 09:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Had one about 5 or 6 years ago.

We were on the home team's sideline. Two players got into on the ground and unfortunately the home team player had and opponent on top of them going at it by hitting each other. A teammate of the home player on the field came off the bench and "blocked" or hit the opponent off of his teammate. Then I noticed that players were coming off the other bench or more than 11 players were likely on the field. But I simply turned around and said, "Anyone on that is off this field and I find out will be ejected." That simply helped get those kids back and went back.

We could not figure out who actually came off the bench from the visiting team. And since the home team for the most part was pretty much composed we decided to eject only three players. The two players that started fighting after the play was over were ejected and the player that clearly came off the bench and made contact with the opponent that was on top of his teammate.

I was the Referee in that game and that was the best I could come up with. IF we could have identified anyone coming off the bench that might have been easier, but at the moment of chaos that was hard to do. And fortunately for us no one else really got involved in the skirmish.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that.

Had one recently during a JV game. Both benches cleared and had a brawl for several minutes between virtually whole teams. Was not able to remember or record one number let alone write it down because of the chaos. Filed a report but because there were no "ejections," I fear both teams will get away with it.

It's easy to believe you will do certain things in such a situation, but until you've been there, you can't understand what it is like.
Old Wed Sep 29, 2010, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
Had one recently during a JV game. Both benches cleared and had a brawl for several minutes between virtually whole teams. Was not able to remember or record one number let alone write it down because of the chaos. Filed a report but because there were no "ejections," I fear both teams will get away with it.

It's easy to believe you will do certain things in such a situation, but until you've been there, you can't understand what it is like.
Sorry but I can't agree. We've had two fights where multiple players were ejected and did not have a problem identifying them.

I can understand not being able to get kids coming off the bench. Football is a game of free substitutions between downs and most fights occur at the end of the down or between plays.

But to not be able to get the numbers of players throwing haymakers at each other...sorry but I don't see any excuse for that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Sep 30, 2010 at 09:02pm.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

On a punt from midfield as the ball is rolling dead near the goalline, players and 3-man crew of officials (one a 2nd year official and the other a rookie working one of the first few games in his career) are spread over half the field. Two players started throwing punches down near the goalline. As I run down their way, I pull my card to start writing numbers. I look again and identify "white #8something" and look again. At that moment, both benches and some fans (JV game, no bleachers, fans lined up along the sideline just behind the restraining line on both sides) swarm over and around me and multiple fights break out. I, my partners, coaches and a few adults had all we could do to separate the combatants to restore order. Standing calm in the middle of the storm writing down numbers was not an option.

I've head the speech that you are to remain outside the fray and write down numbers, but like I said, unless you were there, you don't know what it was like.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a punt from midfield as the ball is rolling dead near the goalline, players and 3-man crew of officials (one a 2nd year official and the other a rookie working one of the first few games in his career) are spread over half the field. Two players started throwing punches down near the goalline. As I run down their way, I pull my card to start writing numbers. I look again and identify "white #8something" and look again. At that moment, both benches and some fans (JV game, no bleachers, fans lined up along the sideline just behind the restraining line on both sides) swarm over and around me and multiple fights break out. I, my partners, coaches and a few adults had all we could do to separate the combatants to restore order. Standing calm in the middle of the storm writing down numbers was not an option.

I've head the speech that you are to remain outside the fray and write down numbers, but like I said, unless you were there, you don't know what it was like.

Yeah I can't imagine actually standing back and writing numbers while WWIII is unfolding. I'll be worried about my own rear end and that's about it.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC View Post
Yeah I can't imagine actually standing back and writing numbers while WWIII is unfolding. I'll be worried about my own rear end and that's about it.
Hence the name.

Seriously... do your job. Get the F away from the brawl and write down numbers.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Seriously... do your job. Get the F away from the brawl and write down numbers.
Have you learned nothing from cartoons? When there's a fight, a cloud appears that dominates the whole frame and there's no getting away from it. And all you can see in it are some stars and planets, and all that sticks out of it are fists.
Old Thu Sep 30, 2010, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not separating anybody. Stand back, write down numbers...been there...done that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I'm not separating anybody. Stand back, write down numbers...been there...done that.
Yeah, I'm not sure why some people have difficulty with this instruction, which is absolutely by the book. I suppose they think that they have to run the show, even when things get out of control.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 10:48am
Chain of Fools

Fortunately, I can recall only one "fight" in my career and it thankfully wasn't a full scale brawl. The two teams were from adjacent counties and rivals. It was the last game of the regular season. One team was headed to the playoffs but the other was out of contention.

Two opponents squared off late in the game but we were fortunate to get them separated quickly. By rule we ejected both players. The losing coach begged us to turn it in as a disqualification instead so the player on the winning team wouldn't have to sit out the next game, which would have been the playoffs, and the suspension is by rule in NC.

I thought it was a nice gesture by the coach, considering it was of no benefit to his team.
Old Fri Oct 01, 2010, 11:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why some people have difficulty with this instruction, which is absolutely by the book. I suppose they think that they have to run the show, even when things get out of control.
To be fair most situations do not get totally out of hand. Most situations involve one or two players in the middle of the field and are easily broken up by players and officials. Most of us are "lucky" if we ever get a real big fight in our officiating careers, let alone one that we cannot handle.

Peace