The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
Yeah, because a team would rather give the other guys 2 pts and the ball rather than replaying the down from the 15 (a 13yd gain with no down counted). Do you even think before you answer? Come up with some reasonable situation where any team would not take the penalty.
Make it a punter instead of a QB. A up by 6, 20 seconds to go, 4th down and 30 from the 2. Coach tells punter to catch the snap and step out of the endzone - would rather punt from the 20 without a rush, than punt from the edge of the endzone, risking a block. Punter flubs the snap, picks it up, and in a panic tries to step out of bounds instead of just falling to the ground. Punter is HCT'd in the EZ.

Take the safety and punt from the 20 instead of trying again to punt from the 15, with a rush (and actually punting from about the 3-4 yard line.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

And the OPer did not say where the line to gain is either. We do not know if there is a first down if accepting the penalty. Also might make a difference to what a coach might decide.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 01:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The result of the play is a safety without a penalty. So you tell the team if they do not want a safety then accept the penalty. And based on the overall situation in the game that might not be something we should automatically assume.

Peace
I *frequently* enforce penalties without explaining all the options to the captains/coaches. This would be one of those times.

I had a funny situation where we had a flag from the LJ and I was over at the sideline getting the info -- I turned to the coach and said, "Declined, right?" (as doing so would yield a 4th and 8) and he was confused for a minute and said, "aren't you going to ask my captain" and I said, "Why, you and I are right here." He laughed. Anything complex or complicated or when I'm in the coach's lap goes through the coaches. I don't believe in letting a captain screw up penalty enforcement for us (or the coin toss, for that matter).

Getting back to the topic -- asking A whether they'd want the safety against them (to me) is a not-very-bright move by a white hat.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 06:01pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Make it a punter instead of a QB. A up by 6, 20 seconds to go, 4th down and 30 from the 2. Coach tells punter to catch the snap and step out of the endzone - would rather punt from the 20 without a rush, than punt from the edge of the endzone, risking a block. Punter flubs the snap, picks it up, and in a panic tries to step out of bounds instead of just falling to the ground. Punter is HCT'd in the EZ.

Take the safety and punt from the 20 instead of trying again to punt from the 15, with a rush (and actually punting from about the 3-4 yard line.
Exactly.

I've seen this coaching move before. And more than once too.

As with many things in football, "it depends on the other variables (situation)".
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Me View Post
Yeah, because a team would rather give the other guys 2 pts and the ball rather than replaying the down from the 15 (a 13yd gain with no down counted). Do you even think before you answer? Come up with some reasonable situation where any team would not take the penalty.
Hey newbie, there are situations where a team would prefer to take a safety.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Fri Sep 24, 2010 at 10:43pm.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 11:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Hey newbie, there are situations where a team would prefer to take a safety.
Those should be obvious, no?
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 11:00am
Go Blue

One time I saw a clip from a HS game where Team A was up by 2 points and the ball. They had to win by more than 2 points to make the playoffs. So on the lsat play of the game, the QB ran 50-60 yards behind him for the safety and they ended up winning in OT by a touchdown and went to the playoffs.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Those should be obvious, no?
It should at least be obvious when there's a question, yes. I admit that most of the time, the safety is the obvious decision and the extent of my asking of the coach would be something like, "You want the safety, right, coach?"

West Houston Mike