The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Line of Scrimmage Rules? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58997-line-scrimmage-rules.html)

Official Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:24am

Line of Scrimmage Rules?

I'm a starting official and I know some of the basics rules. I'm wanting to find out more about the line of scrimmage. I know you must have atleast 7 or more men on the line of scrimmage. What all rules are out there? Thanks in advance.

tjones1 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48am

7-1 and 7-2 is a start.

JRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48am

What you just described was not LOS rules, but formation rules. I think it is better if you start off with Rule 2 and work your way through the rules with that rule as the starting point. It would take too long to cover every situation you might be looking for without leaving something you. Or ask a more specific question about something involving a play that would be better.

Hope that helps some.

Peace

Official Thu Sep 02, 2010 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 690962)
What you just described was not LOS rules, but formation rules. I think it is better if you start off with Rule 2 and work your way through the rules with that rule as the starting point. It would take too long to cover every situation you might be looking for without leaving something you. Or ask a more specific question about something involving a play that would be better.

Hope that helps some.

Peace

So if more than 7 guys are on the line of scrimmage only the 2 outside guys on the line are eligible to catch a pass. Is this correct?

JRutledge Thu Sep 02, 2010 02:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 690963)
So if more than 7 guys are on the line of scrimmage only the 2 outside guys on the line are eligible to catch a pass. Is this correct?

Yes if they have an eligible number.

Peace

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 02, 2010 09:17am

In all major codes, team A's line of scrimmage is the vertical plane parallel to the end lines and passing thru the point of the ball as RFP closest to team A's end line. In all American codes, team B's LOS is likewise for their point of the ball; in Canadian football it's 1 yard behind there. The neutral zone is the space between those planes.

However, a player can be "on" his team's line of scrimmage without literally touching that plane. In all major American codes now to be "on" it for team A, you need to have some part of your head (or helmet) beyond the vertical plane parallel to the end lines and passing through the waist of the snapper, and to face approximately forward (i.e. perpendicularly toward the opponent's end line) as judged by the shoulders. (Notice that the snapper merely by touching the ball and facing forward will have his head past the plane of his own waist.) The various codes have little differences regarding the add'l requirement of whether you can lock legs or in some way overlap with other players on the line. The codes also have slight differences regarding team B players being on their LOS.

tjones1 Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:29am

Official:

This is a pretty good thread on eligible/ineligible recievers.

http://forum.officiating.com/footbal...recievers.html

Official Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35pm

So basically the way I understand it. You can have seven or more guys on the line. To be an eligible receiver you can't have a number 50-70. The two outside receivers on the line are eligible. Anyone on the line inside the two ends are ineligible. What about this formation. I would say WR4 is elible since he's on the end. WR1 is eligible since he's on the end of the line. WR3 is eligible since he's of the line. I'm confused about WR2 and TE1 can somebody explain their status?

WR4----------OOOOOTE1---WR2------WR1
-----------------O--------------WR3

Rob S Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:08am

Well, you basically answered your own question. "Anyone on the line inside the two ends are ineligible." TE1 and WR2 are inelegible in this formation. Typically they'd both line up as backs so you'll have 7 on the line and 4 in the backfield resulting in 6 elegibles. In this case, the offense is reducing their number of eligibles to 4.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:12am

oh okay. so only 1 guy on the line on each side of the qb is eligbile then?

JRutledge Mon Sep 06, 2010 04:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691227)

If the number is eligible.

Peace

bisonlj Mon Sep 06, 2010 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Official (Post 691227)

The location of the QB is irrelevant. Replace "QB" with "line" and you are correct. Also, any backs are eligible. And all of this assumes they have an eligible number. Players are eligible by number and position.

Also note it's possible for the snapper to be eligible if he's on the end of the line and wearing an eligible number.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 02:14pm

probably a dumb question. but to be on the line you have to have some body part on or near the line? - a foot, or hand? what if a linemans hand is off the line but his helmet is near the line?

With_Two_Flakes Mon Sep 06, 2010 03:26pm

Dude - you really need to get reading Rule 2.

I dont do High School much, but pretty sure your question will be answered in Rule 2-33 (or nearby) which contains the definition of a lineman.

Official Mon Sep 06, 2010 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes (Post 691290)
Dude - you really need to get reading Rule 2.

I dont do High School much, but pretty sure your question will be answered in Rule 2-33 (or nearby) which contains the definition of a lineman.

I don't have a rulebook. How do I get access to one?