Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 06, 2010, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

typo
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

which do i read first? football - rules by topic. football case book. football rules book. football officials manual?
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official View Post
which do i read first? football - rules by topic. football case book. football rules book. football officials manual?
All of them.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Can't apply the rules (case book) until you lear them (rule book). My advice is take a rule and study it. Then, go to the case book to prove to yourself how very little you learned. Rinse and repeat.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rules by topic book is a collation of the rule book and case book around common topics (hence the title). In some ways it's a more straightforward trip through the entire rule book than rule 1 to rule 10.

It's what I use to review the rules before each season.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You can do high school games but not varsity?

Peace
I moved out of Kansas 3 years ago, but to the best of my knowledge registered officials are required for all KSHSAA member contests regardless of level.

There is almost certainly shenanigans of one sort or another here.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am fully aware of the first part of your comments. I was not even thinking there was a requirement by the NF and know there is no such requirement in the first place. I am very aware of how member states have their relationship with the NF as our state has gone through a recent transition from one level of membership to another. That was not what I was asking at all. I am surprised that you can work a high school game and the state does not provide the opportunity to have rulebooks and other training material to work high school games or to have a license. Most places if you want to work for the high school association you have to pay dues and they give you books or the opportunity to buy books. This guy claims he has no access (or knowledge) to that and this is why I found that odd. Even if you do not have to belong to an association, you likely have some avenue to purchase these books. The rulebooks and casebook come with our dues and we have to pass a test every year. I am not saying that is not the case in Kansas, but never heard that. And I found it odd that the requirement is if you are working varsity. Then what if they need a fill in and you are available, you cannot work. I am not like others I am not calling this BS just because it is farfetched, just found it odd that is all.
S/he hadn't even written that s/he worked HS games. That was why I answered as per various codes. But this could be youth football, adult, etc.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The rules by topic book is a collation of the rule book and case book around common topics (hence the title). In some ways it's a more straightforward trip through the entire rule book than rule 1 to rule 10.

It's what I use to review the rules before each season.
In the NY Public Library the oldest book with American football rules they had, from the late 1880s IIRC, presented the rules in rearranged form, saying the author's ordering made it easier to follow. It gave the official numbers for reference, though.
Old Tue Sep 07, 2010, 06:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
junior varsity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
S/he hadn't even written that s/he worked HS games. That was why I answered as per various codes. But this could be youth football, adult, etc.
Well they said they worked JV games. Still that is unusual to not have any access to these books even if you are working those levels.

Peace