The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Unhappy

What about this play??

Team A has no time-outs. Driving for the go ahead score. with 10 sec. to go. They complete a pass for first down, 20 yards down the field, with 5 sec. to go, we stop the clock for movement of chains, and with 3 secs, Team A hurries and snaps the ball with his lineman not set to try and spike the ball. We throw a flag for false start, movement on the Offense, after resetting the ball, Do we start the clock on ready for play or snap??, An untimed down just don't make since it this situation, cause your giving the team an unfair advantage to kick the winning field goal, by the way the score was 21-20, ball ended up at the 15 yard line. We start the clock and time expires, with team A setting up for a field goal, thinking the clocked stopped. HELP!!!
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

The false start occurred before the snap. Therefore it was a dead ball foul. After administering the penalty, the clock will start on the ready. You would not have an untimed down, as the foul did not occur during the down. You should advise the A QB the timing situation. The still could get set to spike the ball.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by otis3zeb
Team A has no time-outs. Driving for the go ahead score. with 10 sec. to go. They complete a pass for first down, 20 yards down the field, with 5 sec. to go, we stop the clock for movement of chains, and with 3 secs, Team A hurries and snaps the ball with his lineman not set to try and spike the ball. We throw a flag for false start, movement on the Offense, after resetting the ball, Do we start the clock on ready for play or snap?

...An untimed down just don't make since it this situation, cause your giving the team an unfair advantage to kick the winning field goal ...
Are we talking FED here?

Contrary to what both you and STEVED21 say, when everyone is in a hurry as you describe (your words, "Team A hurries and snaps the ball with his lineman not set to try and spike the ball."), the likely foul is not a false start, but rather an illegal shift (failure to set for a second ; 7-2-6) or and illegal formation (players not in position).

This play is covered in the Casebook, Play 7.5.2 SITUATION E. The "spike" was legal, and therefore the clock stoppage was legal. Enforce the five yard penalty for the illegal shift and start the clock on the snap.

If, on the other hand, you really did have a false start or a snap infraction (7-1-2,-3,or -7), then the answer by STEVED21 is correct.

As far as the "unfair advantage" is concerned, a "spike" is legal, so that in itself is not unfair when enforced properly. Often, teams look upon the "spike" as a free "time out" when in fact it is nothing more than an incomplete pass. The referee must ensure he does not delay the ready for play, thereby giving the offense (undeserved) extra time to set up for the attempted field goal.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with the play is that, according to middleman's interpretation, the center and QB could run to the line, snap the ball, spike it, and stop the clock. They would get an illegal formation flag but they would still get the clock stopped.

I don't believe this is the spirit and intent of the spike rule. I don't think the NF expected this type of play to happen. Perhaps some changes in this rule are needed.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't write the Casebook play, so it's not my interpretation.

There are a number of ways that the referee could override any unseemly advantage, such as the one you suggest. For example, if the referee feels that there is no possible way the team could line up legally and, as you suggest, the snapper and QB commit this clearly unfair act, he may invoke either 3-6-3 or 9-9-3 and run the clock to end the game.

But with three seconds left, one required for the set and one required for the snap and spike, it is feasible to accomplish the play legally. So enforcement of the ruling in 7.5.2 SITUATION E is legitimate, as judged by the referee.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2002, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Middleman
I didn't write the Casebook play, so it's not my interpretation.
No need to be offended. I was just illustrating that you pointed it out.