The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Basic Officiating Skills for New Officials

Our association is putting together training designed specifically for 1st year officials. We're interested in teaching the newer guys 5-10 basic principles they need in order to walk onto the field and perform proficiently. We're considering topics such as counting players, legal formations, forward progress, communication, etc. We are interested in hearing from other officials as to what skills are most important for new officials to develope, and what basic skills seem to be lacking in most 1st year officials.

Last edited by AlexAug01; Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 01:00pm.
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think you will have trouble filling your goal with that approach. The most important thing an official needs to learn early on is field awareness... unfortunately, that really only comes with work and practice.

I would separate your focus into 3 areas, with perhaps a mental checklist to go through during each part.
1) Pre-snap... what are my responsibilities after the ready and before the snap. Check this, check that, signal this, watch for that (depending on position of course).
2) During the play... what are my keys, what should I be ready for, what should I do when the play goes the other way, etc.
3) After the play ... what do I watch immediately after the tackle, what do I do when the play is to my side... the other side ... out of bounds on my side... etc. What are my responsibilities before the ready (am I getting a new ball every play? On 4th down?)

If they know what to do and when, the rest will come.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 08, 2010, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Movement. When to move, how to move, where to move.

Many new guys have "happy feet" and feel the overwhelming need to move somewhere, anywhere at the snap. Get them early in their career to feel OK with standing still and letting the play develop and reading the O line action to figure out what the play is.

Explain wing officials body shape facing the field and moving side to side especially on pass plays before the ball is in the air. Many new guys will cross their feet - that turns the hips, which turns the shoulders which turns the head and means they wont see the short pass patterns run by backs.

Explain to them about playing the percentages as a wing guy.
70% of plays are runs and most runs make 3-5 yards
Wait...
Wait...
Let the runner get past you,
A couple of side to side steps and you have the progress spot.

30% of plays are passes and most passes are 15yds or less
Read your key (Tackle) to deduce it is a pass play
A few side to side steps, splitting the distance from NZ to WR
Once the pass is made, then turn your body to face the intended WR and make up some yards while the ball is in the air to be in a good position to judge the reception.

Counting. Teach them to count players in clumps of three's, it is the fastest way to count.
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

#1 should be "Keep the whistle out of your mouth."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jun 10, 2010, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

USA Football has some great resournces for new (and veteran officials) - from a basic fundamentals course and signals using 2-D and 3-D animations to video interpretations of plays, etc.

USA Football: It's more than a game