The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS Rules Regarding "Tucked In" Jerseys. (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49329-nfhs-rules-regarding-tucked-jerseys.html)

BearBoy Sun Oct 12, 2008 05:17pm

NFHS Rules Regarding "Tucked In" Jerseys.

Are there rules pertaining to players being required to keep their jerseys tucked in whenever possible? Is this something that, if required by rule, enforced?

I just see more HS players not caring how they look.....sometimes it even appears to be an "attitude" thing. Am I "old school"? When I played the game...our team always made the effort to "police" our appearance....not just because our coaches expected it....but, individually, we made sure we looked sharp! We always felt it was a matter of discipline. We never saw the referees with their shirts untucked....I would just think they would enforce this simple item if it's a rule. Is it? And if it is.....could someone tell me why so many high school teams are allowed to wear their uniform jerseys hanging out all game? :confused:

BktBallRef Sun Oct 12, 2008 05:30pm

1-5-3c
A jersey with clearly visible and legible Arabic numbers 1-99 inclusive on the front and back which shall be long enough to reach the top of the pants and shall be tucked in if longer.

Why do they wear them out? Because some officials don't enforce the rule.

voiceoflg Sun Oct 12, 2008 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 542701)
1-5-3c
A jersey with clearly visible and legible Arabic numbers 1-99 inclusive on the front and back which shall be long enough to reach the top of the pants and shall be tucked in if longer.

Why do they wear them out? Because some officials don't enforce the rule.

That rule explains a question I had on a different topic. I did radio for a game where the kicker wore the number zero. As he came on to the field the referee pointed him back to the sideline where the kicker changed jerseys. The new one had the number two on it.

I was unaware zero was not allowed. Thanks.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:04pm

Yep, good catch.

Reffing Rev. Tue Oct 14, 2008 08:30pm

I tell the players to tuck em in and look like men so they can play like men.

I've also been heard to say, If I have to tuck in my shirt then you have to tuck in your's, its only fair right. I'm the only guy on my crew who ever says anything, I only do it preventatively in downtime. I sent 1 player off who I watched purposely untuck his jersey, told the coach his equipment needed fixing. Got no argument from the coach.

BktBallRef Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 543150)
I tell the players to tuck em in and look like men so they can play like men.

I've also been heard to say, If I have to tuck in my shirt then you have to tuck in your's, its only fair right. I'm the only guy on my crew who ever says anything, I only do it preventatively in downtime. I sent 1 player off who I watched purposely untuck his jersey, told the coach his equipment needed fixing. Got no argument from the coach.

We don't allow them to come into the game with them out.

If they come out, we tell them to put'em back in.

If they make no effort, out they go.