The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Free kick following a fair catch

NFHS:
1. Why don't they get rid of this archaic rule.
2. Has this ever happened in a game you worked.
3. If a team did elect to free kick, how much time would you allow them. Would you line them up same as you do on normal kickoffs (Probably better take time to tell R's front line where their restraining line is, since it most likely isn't a yard line), or would you run it like a normal first down, set the chains and blow it ready?
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I had it once - near the end of the half, R fair caught a short punt in good field postition with the wind at their back. It took a long time to set up - more for the receiving team than the kicking team. Since the kickers asked for the free kick, they had some idea what was going on. The receiving team was completely clueless and we almost had to take them by the hand to line them up (of course, getting the officiating crew lined up correctly was also a challenge!)

My thought is, since it hardly ever happens, why take it out of the rule book? It's not hurting anybody and it could help a smart team in the right situation.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
I had it once - near the end of the half, R fair caught a short punt in good field postition with the wind at their back. It took a long time to set up - more for the receiving team than the kicking team. Since the kickers asked for the free kick, they had some idea what was going on. The receiving team was completely clueless and we almost had to take them by the hand to line them up (of course, getting the officiating crew lined up correctly was also a challenge!)

My thought is, since it hardly ever happens, why take it out of the rule book? It's not hurting anybody and it could help a smart team in the right situation.

I guess I would also say that if it does happen (even if it is hardly ever), then the rule is not 'archaic,' and does not need to be taken out.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

It's an NFL rule as well.

If you want to watch a video, bring up this link and scroll down to the
third video.. the title is "Confusion Abounds in Playoff Game"

just listen to the TV commentators too,, they are a stitch!

http://www.footballfridaynight.com/
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

We just had one this year. It hardly took any more time than setting up for a standard scrimmage play after a turn-over.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
My thought is, since it hardly ever happens, why take it out of the rule book?
Fed's usual excuse for outlawing rare plays is that officials, not being practiced in administering such situations, might goof.

I believe that was also NCAA's & NFL's excuse for each, just within the past few years, restricting live kicks to being made only from in or behind the neutral zone and before any change of possession. NCAA had decades earlier outlawed the return kick, but not kicking from beyond the neutral zone. Up to about a quarter century ago, Fed had it the other way, outlawing kicks by A from beyond the neutral zone but keeping the return kick legal.

However, the free kick from a fair catch is nearly goof-proof because it's just a choice of another way to put the ball in play, and is administered almost identically to other free kicks. The only tricky part is knowing when that option applies after penalties intervene, as was discussed here recently.

Robert
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

ljdave

We actually had a team do this in a state final about 4 or 5 years ago.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

I had two outstanding soccer players practice this type of free kick in 2003. They were unbelievable for HS kids. Good from the 45 (which is a 55 yard kick !). They practiced a bunch of kicks and than said our legs are tired and started kicking them with their left leg! Unfortunately, we never had a situation to use it. It’s a great rule.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

1. I'm not sure why but I kinda like that rule.

2. We had it happen in a game last season at the end of the first half - they missed it.

3. It took a little while becasue we had to explain to R's coach just wtf was going on.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
1. I'm not sure why but I kinda like that rule.

2. We had it happen in a game last season at the end of the first half - they missed it.

3. It took a little while becasue we had to explain to R's coach just wtf was going on.

reason #3 is a perfect reason for removing this rule from the code.

Once the down is over, the new team-A should be ready to snap or free kick without delay. If the other teams coach needs to know why or what's going on then he does not read the rule book, then let him burn a timeout assuming he has one. The more time wasted gives the free kicker time to prepare.

There should be no delay in setting up for this. put the ball down and blow the RFP.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

If we use that the coach doesn't know what is going on, we would have to eliminate many rules from the book. I don't think that is a valid reason for removing a rule. I know that I have had teams practice this and are ready in an event that they can use it to help their team.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
Once the down is over, the new team-A should be ready to snap or free kick without delay. If the other teams coach needs to know why or what's going on then he does not read the rule book, then let him burn a timeout assuming he has one. The more time wasted gives the free kicker time to prepare.
Had this one not too long ago. K punts, R catches the punt on about his 20, he ends up scoring a touchdown but there are fouls by A and B both of them on about the B 20 or 25. So the penalties ofset and we to the end of the kick, first down for R. The teams were pretty clueless on that enforcement but I see no reason to remove it from the rules.

I agree that the ball should be marked RFP immedieatly. There is no timeout like after a try or field goal. Inform the team that A is going to kick and get on with it. If they want to discuss the ruling then they can take a timeout to discuss it with the R.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've only seen it once, my first year. The WH at the time said, "the rule says they get 1 minute after a safety, field goal or pat AND prior to the free kick," in other words he read it differently than I ever would have to say there is a 1 minute in there to handle the line-up. He's worked 4 state finals and a bowl game, I wouldn't call him crazy, just different.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Nah, don't call him crazy, just call him wrong.
This is a free kick following a fair catch. All of those he mentioned are
correct when following a score.

I still say... get rid of this rule (along with the A-11)