The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland
Wasn't it a horse collar tackle that ended the career of Bo Jackson?
Bo's football career was ended and he received an artificial hip and continued to play baseball, but that career was ended a season and a half later (He sat out a year and played a year and then retired in the middle of a season.)

Bo was considered by some to be the best multi-sport athlete since Jim Thorpe. I know that Vic Janowicz, Heisman winner from Ohio State (Elyria, Ohio) played in the NFL and for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Some others I can remember off the top of my head were Neon Deon, Dave DeBusschere (White Sox-Knicks), Gene Conley (Celtics-Red Sox?). Jordan tried baseball but didn't make it to the bigs.

Any others at the major league level?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, my friend in high school suffered a spiral fracture of his tibia from a horse collar tackle...

Forks, i think Roger Staubach played baseball as well, but i'm not sure
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Brian Jordan - MLB and NFL

Danny Ainge - NBA and MLB
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Bo's football career was ended and he received an artificial hip and continued to play baseball, but that career was ended a season and a half later (He sat out a year and played a year and then retired in the middle of a season.)
Not only do I not understand the biophysics of how a horse collar, as described by NFL & NAFL, hurt his hip, but I also don't get how if it did, it could be any worse than a clothesline, half Nelson, or any other hold directly on the neck.

Quote:
Bo was considered by some to be the best multi-sport athlete since Jim Thorpe. I know that Vic Janowicz, Heisman winner from Ohio State (Elyria, Ohio) played in the NFL and for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Some others I can remember off the top of my head were Neon Deon, Dave DeBusschere (White Sox-Knicks), Gene Conley (Celtics-Red Sox?). Jordan tried baseball but didn't make it to the bigs.

Would you count Jim Conacher?

Robert
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

collared

I have seen many a horse collar tackles over several decades of officiating, and it is apparent the intent of the rule is beyond reproach.

What is interesting is to recall how many different types of "collar" tackles there are and which ones require a flag?

It is not always easy to discern.