The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef
As a wing I will not argue about "better or easier", but will state how our crew uses the balanced/unbalanced signals. These signals aid in the communication of the entire crew. When we count lineman and we are unbalanced, we now have a player who is "covered up" by someone else on the end of the line of scrimmage. If the player who is covered is wearing a number that allows him to "normally" be eligible to catch a pass--our signals have now communicated to each wing and the back judge (and the referee) that we have a potential ineligible in the line of scrimmage. The normal "keys" will be impacted if this "ineligible" runs a fly pattern right at the back judge and a pass is thrown. Because of our signals we are all aware of the penalty\potential penalty.

Just food for thought on how\why we use the signals.
Just because you have an unbalanced line doesn't mean you have a covered tight end. This could be the line of scrimmage:

TE OL C OL OL OL SE

You've got 2 on one side and 4 on the other but no normally eligible receiver is covered up. Am I missing something?

rdfox made a similar comment regarding covered receivers being the responsibility of the R and U. I disagree. The R is watching the quarterback and has no idea what is happening down field. The U is keyed on the linemen and line of scrimmage. In the situation of a covered receiver, I find it easier for a wing official to make note of, watch that receivers initial move, and determine if he may violate the rule at that point. If he goes downfield then pay attention to where the ball goes if there is a pass. It doesn't happen very often and I've found it easy to officiate while not giving up on my other normal keys.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=bisonlj]Just because you have an unbalanced line doesn't mean you have a covered tight end. This could be the line of scrimmage:

TE OL C OL OL OL SE

You've got 2 on one side and 4 on the other but no normally eligible receiver is covered up. Am I missing something?

Which is why I said "IF (see my response) the player who is covered" is wearing a number that is normally eligible.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:41am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
rdfox made a similar comment regarding covered receivers being the responsibility of the R and U. I disagree. The R is watching the quarterback and has no idea what is happening down field. The U is keyed on the linemen and line of scrimmage. In the situation of a covered receiver, I find it easier for a wing official to make note of, watch that receivers initial move, and determine if he may violate the rule at that point. If he goes downfield then pay attention to where the ball goes if there is a pass. It doesn't happen very often and I've found it easy to officiate while not giving up on my other normal keys.
I agree with this. We had a situation where A only had 10 on the field (they were missing their TE). The QB kept yelling the kids name, and he finally ran onto the field. Of course he lined up on the wrong side (my side) and was covered by the split end. They run the play and the TE catches a pass and runs for a touchdown.

Of course everyone, except the coach, is screaming in excitement. We nearly got boo'ed off the field by the fans, but when I reported the foul to the coach, he nodded and said "I know, I know. I thought that is what happened." (Worst part was, this was before the change in illegal touching.)

In our post-game, our R and U were very appreciative. There was no way they would know that the TE was covered. And I did exactly what bisonlj said. Just kept a note that the TE was covered and watched where the ball went.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Take 2 beanbags with you. Give one to Box man when inside the 10 yardline to mark spot of the box if he has to move for players,
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Always remember to get your clip back
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 09:03am
Archaic Power Monger

Thanks, Roamin' Ump. That's exactly what I was looking for. Now if I can just put it into practice tonight.