The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know it's no big surprise if it's true, but I'd like to confirm my opinion. The situation is #4 from Test Yourself, on page 72 of the Feb. 2006 issue - I'm interested in the NFHS ruling:

Team A scores as time expires on the final play of regulation time, making the score 26-24 in favor of Team B. On the play, B1 grabbed and twisted A's facemask. (Assume the penalty is accepted and enforced on the try.) The ensuing try results in two points for Team A, tying the game. What happens next?
(a) The fourth quarter is extended for a kickoff.
(b) The game moves to overtime.

The answer given by Referee is (b), and the reference provided is 3-3-3 NOTE. I don't see a note on 3-3-3, and as nearly as I can tell, 3-3-3a should apply - there was a foul during the last timed down, and the penalty was accepted. The period should be extended by one untimed down - in this case, a kickoff. (Which, hopefully, team A will simply tap off of the tee and fall on.) Opinions?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:50am
Small Business Owner

The word "NOTE" should be removed from both answer 3 and answer 4 on page 80 of Referee Mag 2/06.
Simple reason -This is clearly a typo as not such "NOTE" exists in the rule book.

As for the penalty enforcement, Referee does have both plays correct and does list the proper enforcment.
When a foul occurs on the last play of a period AND the penalty is accepted, the period IS extended by an untimed down.
But remember, when the offended team scores a touchdown (as in the sample play) on the last timed down of a period, the untimed down IS the TRY (as per Rule 8-3-1, also known as the succeeding spot. See Rule 2-40-10)
Restated - Under current NFHS rules, there is NEVER a situation where the offended team has the option of having the penalty enforced on the kickoff for a foul which occurred during a touchdown.

The correct answer for Quiz question 3 is A
The correct answer for Quiz question 4 is B
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:40am
I Bleed Crimson

Two questions:

1) Assume no foul on the touchdown. A still gets the try, right?
2) If 1), let's say B1's foul is on the try instead of the touchdown. Would the period be extended for a kickoff?
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
Two questions:

2) If 1), let's say B1's foul is on the try instead of the touchdown. Would the period be extended for a kickoff?
1) Yes, because the try could affect the outcome of the game.

2) No, becuase the foul didn't occur during the last timed down.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 10:42am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
Two questions:

1) see rule: 3-3-3d. This one of the reason the period is extended.

2) No, there would have to be time on the clock to enforce the penalty on the Kick-off. So, if not that means time expired on the TD, meaning the peanlty did NOT happen on the "last timed down." The only time we would have another play is if the extra point was no good or they only went for one and then replayed the down.

[Edited by tpaul on Feb 4th, 2006 at 10:47 AM]