The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Do you throw a flag on the first sideline infraction against a coach that is on the field? And where can I find information on this in the rule book?
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

(NF)

Yes

9-8-3

first is warning, second is worth 5 and anything after that is worth 15.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Sorry to disagree with you here but according to the officials manual published by the fed, you do not throw a flag for the first sideline warning. The second you do, and they get 5 yards, the third you throw the flag and they get 15 yards. See below:

According to the NFHS Officials Manual, you do not throw a flag on the warning. (2004 and 2005 Officials Manual, page 22, under Controlling the sideline and team box):

II. First Violation by Team.
A. Results in a sideline warning.
B. Covering official sound whistle, give proper signal, then report infraction to referee.
C. Referee will give proper signal and indicate offending sideline.
D. Covering official echo signal (No. 15) while verbally informing coach of warning. Communication also should include reminder of distance penalties of further violations.
E. All officials record time and period warning is given.

III. Second Violation by Team.
A. Covering official will drop penalty marker, sound whistle, report infraction to referee.
B. Referee will give approved signals and umpire will assess distance penalty.
C. Covering official will verbally inform and remind coach that each subsequent offense will result in 15-yard penalty.
D. All officials record time and period penalty is assessed.

IV. Third and subsequent Violations.
A. Covering official will drop penalty marker, sound whistle, report infraction to referee.
B. Referee will give approved signals..."

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Technically speaking, Grant, the manual says no, but we will throw a flag on the 1st one as well. We have discussed this and we will drop a flag and I (the R) will signal. Cuz of the teams and the area we work, and the good communication of my wings, we have never thrown one in 6 years.

My bet is that a wing who knows the sideline warning signal is in the minority.

Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I believe the rule you are citing has to do with coaches outside the team box but not on field. If a coach is on the field it's supposed to tecnically be a 15-yard USC penalty (even though we enforce it as discussed in this thread).

I don't have my book available to double check this but I'm fairly certain it's supposed to be a 15-yarder when the coach is on the field.
Old Fri Dec 30, 2005, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
MJT, I hope they know it, by the book they echo the signal that the R gives!!

I've given two in the last two years. I try my best to talk with the HC and GBC and if that doesn't work or I say the same things over and over, then I flag.

Something curious here that I found in the case book, it makes no distinction between a coach on the field and a coach in the team box. At least in the case book that is. See 9.8.3a. I checked 9-8 and it really didn't say much about coaches on the field during play other than the case of the side line warnings and whatnot. So I guess if you run into a coach, as I did twice in one game and didn't call a warning, it is a warning the first time, flag and 5 yards on the second offense.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:32pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by 86362
Do you throw a flag on the first sideline infraction against a coach that is on the field? And where can I find information on this in the rule book?
What do you mean by side line infraction? Do you mean side line warning or interference?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:49pm
tpaul

USC

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:

I've given two in the last two years. I try my best to talk with the HC and GBC and if that doesn't work or I say the same things over and over, then I flag.

Something curious here that I found in the case book, it makes no distinction between a coach on the field and a coach in the team box. At least in the case book that is. See 9.8.3a. I checked 9-8 and it really didn't say much about coaches on the field during play other than the case of the side line warnings and whatnot. So I guess if you run into a coach, as I did twice in one game and didn't call a warning, it is a warning the first time, flag and 5 yards on the second offense.
G,
Look under 9-8-1, noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct by nonplayers. A coach is a nonplayer. Look at "(i) Being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player."

The coach is not a substitute or replaced player. So, you have USC on the coach on the field.

Side line warning isn't listed in the rulebook until 9-8-1 k; Which is "being outside the team box, but not on the field. (also see art 3)." ART3 covers having more than 3 coaches in the coaches area.

A coach on the field is an USC...I know alot of us use the "warning" for coaches on the field so they don't get banged right away for the USC - 15 yards.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 01:10pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:
on 9-8-3a is talking about too many coaches in the coaches box. If you run into a coach you better throw a USC and ejection for contacting an official! There isn't a warning for contacting for sure.

Thanks for bringing this I needed to review this for myself but I know if I would have ran into a coach it would have cost 15 atleast without my reviewing the rule as I have done today...Thanks G!
Old Sat Dec 31, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

We had a wing throw a flage for a coach being on the field at the snap. It was 15 yrd. UP, I thought it looked like plumbing to me, just my .02!
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:46am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
I would disagree with this. At the varsity level at least. We expect every official on the field to know the signal and enforcement. This way we can check on each other during the game to make sure things are done correctly.