The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

On 4th and long today at a junior high game playing by NFHS rules, I had B sacking the the quarterback and as he did, he grabbed the back opening of the helmet and quickly released it. I flagged for a 5 yarder. A's coach was real hot and said "any helmet contact on the QB is an automatic 15 yards."

I thought I would check afterward just to make sure I was right and I can't find it anywhere in the rule book where it states anything like that.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for the help.

RookieRef2005
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rule book here but look in the illegal personal contact section of Rule 9. In the bold penalty section it says something about grasping vs. grasping and pulling/twisting 5 yards vs. 15 yards.

Just grasping and letting go on the facemask or any part of the helmet opening is only 5 yards- with no special rule for the "quarterback".

You got it right. Remember- coaches will rarely be satisfied- even if you get it right.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rookieref2005
On 4th and long today at a junior high game playing by NFHS rules, I had B sacking the the quarterback and as he did, he grabbed the back opening of the helmet and quickly released it. I flagged for a 5 yarder. A's coach was real hot and said "any helmet contact on the QB is an automatic 15 yards."
RookieRef2005
That sounds like a NFL rule, which is probably where the coach gets all of his rules.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

QB has no more special rule than anyone else in HS. You had the correct ruling, NFL rules for QB does not carry over to Friday nights.

Not an automatic first down either, unless of course you rule it roughing the passer, personal foul, 15 yards.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 08:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
On 4th and long today at a junior high game playing by NFHS rules, I had B sacking the the quarterback and as he did, he grabbed the back opening of the helmet and quickly released it.
15 yards in Canada. No option for just 5.

Quote:
I thought I would check afterward just to make sure I was right and I can't find it anywhere in the rule book where it states anything like that.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for the help.
Rookie,

I think you need to be a bit more sure of yourself. You can't find it anywhere in the rule book or case book? Then it is not there. The only way it could be 15 automatically if on the QB is by philosophy. Such a beast would have to be a rule, IMO.