The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I just began the test and have 2 annoying questions. I have a feeling they want us to answer true for #2 and false for #3. But in reality you can say the opposite for both. Any idea what they're looking for here?

In 2: You can have OPI away from the ball and I believe you still can as it specifically cites defense. I thought I saw this on another thread.

In 3: I believe this was on last year's test. Everyone thinks the illegal sub "becomes" IP. If you want to get technical you can say you have multiple fouls if a player subsequently participates in the play.

The questions are:

2) Pass interference cannot occur when the pass is clearly thrown away from the spot of the potential foul.

3) It is illegal substitution if a replaced player unsuccessfully attempts to leave the field prior to the snap, whether or not the player participates in or affects the play. (OK, in the end you have IP but you can still have IS as a multiple foul).

[Edited by ljudge on Jul 27th, 2005 at 06:12 PM]
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

2) True 7-5-11 c.
3) False 3-7-4 The wording 'whether or not he participates in the play' makes it false. If he doesn't it is IS, if he does it is IP.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: The Fed answer key does say that the answer to question #2 is TRUE. But that's not correct. As ljudge said, pass interference can occur when the pass is clearly thrown away from the spot of the potential foul if it is by the offense. Only the defense is absolved by the new rule.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

We all know that they want #2 to be True but the following case book play doesn't let it.

7.5.10 SITUATION B: Eligible receiver A1 blocks an opponent 10 yards downfield while the pass is in flight. The pass is completed to A2 who is: (a) beyond the neutral zone; or (b) behind the neutral zone when he catches the ball. When the covering official observes the block by A1 during a forward pass, he immediately drops a penalty marker to indicate an infraction. RULING: It is a foul for pass interference in (a), and a legal block in (b). It was proper for the covering official downfield in (b) to indicate an infraction because he had no way of knowing whether the pass was beyond the neutral zone. (7-5-7)

My guess is that #2 will be thrown out.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

As is true with many Fed test questions, you have to determine not only what they are asking but what point they are trying to make. In some cases, if you try to read more into it than the Fed has intended, you will get the answer wrong even though you are technically correct. This question is an example of that. As Bob M has pointed out, the question is technically false, but if you assume what was intended it's true. One of the many joys of taking the Fed test along with some tortured grammar. Have you looked at question #36? They make some questions almost impossible to read much less understand what the heck they are asking.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I don't know. I didn't have much trouble with #36. It looked pretty much word-for-word to me. But then again I guess your complaint might be aimed at the way the rules are written.

36. The goal line is entirely in the end zone and the edge toward the field of play, and its vertical plane is the actual goal line.

1-2-3i Each goal-line mark shall be entirely in its end zone so the edge toward the field of play and its vertical plane is the actual goal line. The goal line shall extend from sideline to sideline.

Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

My take:
#2: False. Offensive pass interference is not negated by the new rule. It applies only to the defense.

#3. False. If the question left off the final phrase, "... whether or not the player participates in or affects the play," then I'd answer this one true, but it doesn't, so ...

BTW: I do wish they would get rid of #20.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

What test....

are you talking about? Practice test 1 or test #2?

Either way can I get a copy from someone?

Last year the state of Maryland decided to not provide test #1.

Bob
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: The Fed answer key does say that the answer to question #2 is TRUE. But that's not correct. As ljudge said, pass interference can occur when the pass is clearly thrown away from the spot of the potential foul if it is by the offense. Only the defense is absolved by the new rule.
Just curious. Does the Fed intentionally leak a "wrong" answer key just to see if we're paying attention?
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 04:48pm
tpaul

Re: What test....

Quote:
Originally posted by MdSooner
are you talking about? Practice test 1 or test #2?

Either way can I get a copy from someone?

Last year the state of Maryland decided to not provide test #1.

Bob
MD,
Certified officials in New Jersey must take the "2005 Football Rules Examination - Part 1" kinda like re-cert test each year.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 04:49pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Just curious. Does the Fed intentionally leak a "wrong" answer key just to see if we're paying attention?
I don't think so, they have a hard enough time just getting it right to sart with...LOL