The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

QB drops back to pass. QB is hit while his arm is moving forward, the ball goes forward and hits the ground. We would all call this incomplete. QB is hit while his arm is moving forward and the ball goes backward and hits the ground. I think we all would call this incomplete.

QB is hit before arm is moving forward and his body is turned to one side. Then he begins his motion to pass. Arm motion is in a backwards direction and ball goes backwards and hits the ground. There are no A players anywhere near in the direction his arm is moving. What is your call?
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Fumble?
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a backwards pass and not a fumble.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Six of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. Backward pass = fumble. Live ball either way.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Unless the arm is moving forward before contact, I am ruling a fumble. If the arm started first and the ball goes forward, then I will call it a pass.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Backwards pass hitting the ground = fumble.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Passing is throwing the ball. A fumble is losing ball possession other than by handing, a legal kick, or passing.
To throw the ball is an intentional act. The fact that the arm was in movement backward does not mean that the QB intended to throw the ball backwards. This is a fumble. But is all comes out the same in the wash.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Well it looks like everyone agrees on this one as the description was pretty clear.

Does this make it any different? QB drops back to pass. As he is raising the ball to pass it, but his arm hasn't yet started to move forward, he is hit and turned. He then starts his passing motion but his arm and the ball go backwards. This is a very bang-bang play. Any votes for this as an incomplete pass?

I have had five of these in varsity games in the past three years (lucky me I guess, three more were forward and incomplete) and I have ruled them all fumbles (or backward passes) and of course one coach was not happy. He always says that the arm was moving forward but I always saw the player turned before the arm started moving.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
Backwards pass hitting the ground = fumble.
Not here in Texas. A backward pass and a fumble are two different creatures.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

They're both still live, though. For fourth down fumble provisions, it makes a big difference.

As far as the "hit, passes backwards", I used to say backwards pass, but I go with incomplete. I see it as if his arm is going forward (in relation to his body) after he's been hit, I've got incomplete. I have seen the play where the QB gets swung around by the shirt and his pass comes out going backward and it looks terrible, but I'll take my licks from a coach who disagrees.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Well it looks like everyone agrees on this one as the description was pretty clear.

Does this make it any different? QB drops back to pass. As he is raising the ball to pass it, but his arm hasn't yet started to move forward, he is hit and turned. He then starts his passing motion but his arm and the ball go backwards. This is a very bang-bang play. Any votes for this as an incomplete pass?

I have had five of these in varsity games in the past three years (lucky me I guess, three more were forward and incomplete) and I have ruled them all fumbles (or backward passes) and of course one coach was not happy. He always says that the arm was moving forward but I always saw the player turned before the arm started moving.
If the arm is moving foward before he loses posession then I am calling it incomplete.
Old Sat Nov 13, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

It is a fumble
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

It shouldn't matter what his arm is doing in relation to his body... it should matter what his arm is doing in relation to the field. If he's throwing forward in relation to his body, but backward in relation to the field, this is a backward pass (live ball), not an incomplete forward pass.