The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I am a second-year official and have been reading this forum for two years now, but I now have a question that I would like to get some input on.

This question comes from our study guide:

B1 leaps in the air over his 2 yard line and has A’s pass in his grasp. He returns to the ground in his end zone inbounds. RULING: Since the momentum rule applies in this situation, B may put the ball in play first and 10 from his 2 yard line.

It is my contention that momentum does NOT apply because the defender hadn't literally (in terms of the rules) caught the ball (i.e gained possession) until his feet hit the ground. In my opinion, if he is downed in the end zone this would be a touchback. I am in disagreement with some of our veteran officials on this question.

Thank you very much.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

You are 100% correct and let this be lesson with you being a "newer" official. The veterans aren't always right. Don't forget that. There are a few veteran officials who have given advice to newer officials on this forum. I forget who usually says this but he says "read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2."

It's very simple. Tell them to look up the definition of a catch in rule #2. Then tell them to read the exception. The exception is clear that it must be a "catch." They'll have no room to argue.

Good luck to you.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
I forget who usually says this but he says "read rule 2, read rule 2, read rule 2."
Just about everyone says it and its good advice. After a grizzled vet tells me somthing I'm not so sure I agree with I just nod my head and make sure to look it up when I get home.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Actually I think my term is READ RULE 2, READ RULE 2, READ RULE 2, READ RULE 2. (four times)
But yes it certainly applies here.

You are totally correct.
Go back and ask them: When does the momentum rule apply? (When you CARRY a ball that you have caught into the EZ).
And, when does a catch occur. (When you return to the ground inbounds with the ball in your possession.)
Therfore the monentum rule doesn't apply.
Then give them the address for this board if they still want to argue about it!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Aug 17, 2004, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up You are doing great!

For a 2nd year guy you certainly have a healthy dose of professional skepticism...

I posed this very same question to 2 veterans a couple of years ago and one of them came up with this variation...

Lets say that B leaps at the back of the endzone and gains possession of the pass but first lands out of bounds beyond the end line. You would have an incomplete pass right? The catch was not completed in bounds. (Of course you might have a catch if contact by an opponent is involved, but that is for another discussion because you can have all sorts of variations on that one).

Same principal can be used in your situation. The catch was completed where B first lands with the pass in his possession. If that is the end zone, then the momentum exception would not apply. If the ball becomes dead in the end zone with B in possession (player or team) then you have a touchback.