The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

During a scrimmage kick, with A lined up in proper kick formation, B lineman comes in totally untouched.

B is charging hard and commits to a tackle attempt against player A in the kicker position. B actually leaves his feet.

Somehow, just before impact by B, A kicks the ball cleanly down field.

Offensive coach wants roughing the kicker, as the kicker is hit hard and driven to the ground.

As ref, I declined to throw the flag, because defense has committed to his charge.

I reasoned that this would be similar to tackling a quarterback as he makes a pass - not roughing.

Was I correct? NFHS rules.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

I suspect NFHS views this as does NCAA, the kicker is more vulnerable than a passer and gets "extra" protection. It is the defender's responsibility to avoid the contact. That means if he is going to leave his feet, he better take an angle that will have him flying in front of the kicker and not in to him. The contact you described is a foul under NCAA rules.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Also in Fed.

Already committing to a charge that leads him right into the kicker doesn't relieve him of his responsibility to avoid running into that kicker. If he were to get a piece of the ball, unofficially, he then can contact the kicker as long as that contact is 'unavoidable'.

What you describe above sounds like a PF/RTK to me.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, good, that I ruled incorrectly is what was decided with the coach and we corrected it.

Yet the same team, at a different game, same situation, (they had no blocking at all - ever!)This time the defender has grasped the kicker around the wasit and is attempting to pull him to the ground. As the two fall to the ground the kicker gets off a great punt! The coach goes wild again wanting a roughing the kicker called.

Since contact was made while the kicker held the ball, I ruled that it was legal because until he kicks the ball, he is a runner. He is not a kicker until his foot contacts the ball. Was this one correct?

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

That one is correct. He is not a kicker till he kicks and if he is already being contacted when he kicks, tough luck for him.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I have been pondering this call for a while. And for the record, this one stood as called.