The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone out there ever have an announcer that does a play by play over the loud speakers during the play?

OR

Anyone have an announcer that makes snide remarks about the officiating during the game?

What can we do about this?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
Anyone out there ever have an announcer that does a play by play over the loud speakers during the play?

### a local PW league does this. Adds to the excitement of the game. For a high school game, no way. Inform the coach to get word up to the booth and shut him down while the play is live or about to be snapped.

Quote:
OR
Anyone have an announcer that makes snide remarks about the officiating during the game?

### When you have a break in the action, you tell the home team coach or school officals either to shut him down or you'll go up and pull the freaking mic out of the amplifier.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Simbio
I've heard some of the small towns around here have had cases like this... It's not too bad, until you consider the possibility of the announcers affecting the game... (e.g. Offense fakes the defense out of its collective jocks, but they hear "It's a reverse!" from the loudspeaker, and recover...)

Quote:
Get game administration involved...
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

We had this happen this past weekend in a varsity game. We quickly shutdown the announcer. The visiting school hadn't even noticed, but was very happy when we explained to him what the offical timeout was for.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Some of them can be pretty annoying. It helps you sometimes
when they can see the long yardage like "it's 3rd and 35".
A lot of the time they get things wrong like "the defense is offsides"
in a NF high school game when we all know it was encroachment.
Another side topic to this thread might be bands that play loudly during signal calling. Another game management thingy !!
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy

Another side topic to this thread might be bands that play loudly during signal calling. Another game management thingy !!
REPLY: We had a game last weekend where the home team complained--before the game--that their opponents always brought a loud speaker to the game and had their band play into the microphone to disrupt the opponent's offensive signals. They wanted us to go to their AD before the game and squelch it before it became a problem. We decided not to do that and told them that if we heard it, we would immediately call a TO and approach them about knocking it off. Naturally, it never happened.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Last Friday, we had the home team stop the clock during halftime. When we get back on the field for the start of the second half, there's still 7 minutes on the clock. We put 20 and 3 up when we left, and came back before the 3 minute mark by our watch. We've been instructed not to penalize the home team for this but that's a little ridiculous.

Anyway, the "BAND" PA announcer finally tells the band to get off the field get off the field or they'll get a penalty. Then he says, "But what's another penalty, right folks!" Our referee went to the AD and told him he'd better get him off the PA or we'd get rid of him.

Then one of the coaches asks me to not penalize the team because of the PA guy. I told him we aren't going to flag it be we'll sure kick his a$$ out. T that, he had 3 words, "Be my guest."
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I am not a football official, actually, I am, but I just do rec flag-football, anyway, I do have a story that directly relates to this topic. Many years ago in small town middle GA. The visiting offense was in front of the home band and the home band was playing very loudly, as high school bands generally only know one volume. So the visiting QB makes the motion to his ear and points toward the band, communicating this to the ref. The ref dutifully requests the band not to play at this juncture. To which the overly voiced non-stop announcer says something to the effect that, "Oh...he doesn't want the band to play. PLAY BAND...PLAY" The band stopped playing eventually. Perhaps it was the yellow flair flying from the ref's pocket which made the final diference.

Ed
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

"Perhaps it was the yellow flair flying from the ref's pocket which made the final diference."

Did he throw the FLARE with a FLAIR?

Bob

Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Oh Yeah....

Ed
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

We had to shut down an announcer at PeeWee last weekend. I was on the opposite sideline, and they weren't complaining, but they were remarking sarcastically about how bad the guy wanted to be Chris Berman ... complete with one instance of "Could go ... all ... the ... way". It bugged me when I heard him say "#12 John Doe around the right side" before it was obvious to the defense where he was going, although I doubt the kiddos noticed much. I told LJ, who told a handy board member, who told him to cut it out. 3 plays later, after a rather ordinary tackle, it's "John Smith is PULVERIZED by James Jones!!!! The board member didn't even look to us - he yanked him right there.

I did have an instance early this season where the announcer actually said, "IT'S A REVERSE!!!" with the ball in the backfield, and I think it perked up the CB on my side that wasn't paying attention. We asked him to cut it out too, and didn't have further problems with him.

The announcers should not speak during the play. Ever.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 31, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, John Madden!

Scene --- Afternoon youth game on Saturday.

Announcer is boisterous all game.

4th Quarter after a number of successive flags called on the home team...

Announcer opines, "Wow, the refs actually kept their flags in their pockets on that last play!"

Announcer was sent home to mow his lawn.

(fade to black)