The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 03:01am
C'mon man!!

BYU and San Diego State (Video)

The last minute of regulation was full of good stuff, particularly at 56 seconds, a travel was called on BYU when a player dove for the ball and rolled over from momentum after gaining possession. He was probably pushed in the back too. Not enough for a foul per se but it definitely gave him even more momentum.

Then the last twenty seconds of regulation there was a Travel be SDS that allowed him to shoot a 3 and tie the game. It was pretty blatant. It was one of those, I have possession inside the arc but I need three, so I think I'll just step back here behind the line without dribbling and take the shot.

Then a foul with just a few seconds left against BYU's top shooter preventing him from even getting at the ball in the corner. The official said "play on." any other time in the game and this is an easy foul. I disliked that they didn't call it because it was tied with less than 5 seconds left and that would have put him at the line.

Then to start the 1st OT there was a jump ball violation. I think the jumper grabbed it early but am not sure as they only showed it once and I was distracted.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Tue Nov 25, 2014 at 03:08am.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 03:21am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
The last minute of regulation was full of good stuff, particularly at 56 seconds, a travel was called on BYU when a player dove for the ball and rolled over from momentum after gaining possession. He was probably pushed in the back too. Not enough for a foul per se but it definitely gave him even more momentum.

Then the last twenty seconds of regulation there was a Travel be SDS that allowed him to shoot a 3 and tie the game. It was pretty blatant. It was one of those, I have possession inside the arc but I need three, so I think I'll just step back here behind the line without dribbling and take the shot.

Then a foul with just a few seconds left against BYU's top shooter preventing him from even getting at the ball in the corner. The official said "play on." any other time in the game and this is an easy foul. I disliked that they didn't call it because it was tied with less than 5 seconds left and that would have put him at the line.

Then to start the 1st OT there was a jump ball violation. I think the jumper grabbed it early but am not sure as they only showed it once and I was distracted.
I was watching the game too! I agree the player was pushed a little which caused him to roll, but I didn't think he rolled over enough to travel. I'd like to see another replay though.

The SDS player definitely travelled when he stepped back behind the 3 point line to take the shot. It was just off an inbound steal though so the Trail has to referee the steal, the screen set by another SDS player, the step-back, and whether the shooters feet were outside the 3 point line. Lot's going on and I don't blame the Trail. Who knows though, perhaps that kind of move is acceptable in today's college basketball...

Certainly possible to call a foul on the SDS player guarding the BYU player but I did think they were both equally wrapped up.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

Certainly possible to call a foul on the SDS player guarding the BYU player but I did think they were both equally wrapped up.
This.

A lot more "exaggerating" by the BYU player that the SDSU player IMO. The Lead (McCall) was looking at the two players the whole time and had a feel for play.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Trail ref: That was more work than I've seen a Trail get in a long time.

Travel on 3 pt Shot: If that were one of our NFHS games the Travel violation would have been called 100% by even a rookie ref. No dribble, both feet moved after securing the rock. But like you said, allowances are made in collegiate games.

Non-Call on Hawes: Hawes was the best shooter (maybe ranks in top 10 of US NCAA); he got fouled and should have been getting FTs. Not sure why 'play on' was used there?

Stolen Tip on 1st OVT: This glaring violation is even called in 8th grade girls games and is easy to identify. Not sure why the ref did not intervene?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

You're killing me Here are the plays...
Sorry about the choppy quality. If I can fix them I will.

Quote:
at 55.2 of the 1st OT, a travel was called on BYU when a player dove for the ball and rolled over from momentum after gaining possession. He was probably pushed in the back too.

Quote:
the last twenty seconds of the 1st OT there was a Travel by SDS that allowed them to shoot a 3 and tie the game. It was pretty blatant. It was one of those, I have possession inside the arc but I need three, so I think I'll just step back here behind the line without dribbling and take the shot.

Quote:
Then a foul with just a few seconds left in OT against BYU's top shooter preventing him from even getting at the ball in the corner. The official said "play on." any other time in the game and this is an easy foul.

Quote:
to start the 2nd OT there was a jump ball violation. I think the jumper grabbed it early but am not sure as they only showed it once and I was distracted.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 11:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play 1: hands on a ball-handler who ends up on the ground, I'm calling a foul

Play 2: travel

Play 3: offensive player trying to fool the official, good no-call

Play 4: stolen tip, good call

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 26, 2014 at 07:01am.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 11:58pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Play 4: stolen tip, good call
Not seeing this before..why is this a violation? Violation HS Too?

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Not seeing this before..why is this a violation? Violation HS Too?

Thanks
Check out 6-3 in your NFHS book.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:16am
We don't rent pigs

I don't recall ever seeing anyone roll due to momentum unless there was a hill involved.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 12:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post

Travel on 3 pt Shot: If that were one of our NFHS games the Travel violation would have been called 100% by even a rookie ref. No dribble, both feet moved after securing the rock. But like you said, allowances are made in collegiate games.
They are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
...Stolen Tip on 1st OVT: This glaring violation is even called in 8th grade girls games and is easy to identify. Not sure why the ref did not intervene?
The U2 called a violation, so I'm not sure what you are saying.

The U1 wasn't even looking, he let the coach distract him......hmmmm, maybe that was a set play by the coach, and the U2 was on top of things and caught it.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 02:26am
Do not give a damn!!

1. I have nothing. It looks like he gains control after he had rolled.

2. Travel. That was easy. The only reason I see it might have been missed is the officials did not see or know when control of the ball.

3. Foul. Not sure how this was missed. The Lead has nothing else to watch.

4. Looks like a violation. But it is never called. And I am as guilty as anyone.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 03:34am
C'mon man!!

Jet met, thanks for correcting my periods.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Jet met, thanks for correcting my periods.
It's all good. I was at work - i.e., awake - when all this happened so I had an idea of when stuff took place.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
2. Travel. That was easy. The only reason I see it might have been missed is the officials did not see or know when control of the ball.

4. Looks like a violation. But it is never called. And I am as guilty as anyone.
2. It looks like T is bailing out when the first shot is blocked -- so he's a little out of position when the play continues. Might have still been looking at the screen / handoff players.

4. It's not often called when the ball is tipped / batted from the bottom or side. But here it looks like the center almost caught the ball on the top/side and threw it to his teammate.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Great series of videos...
1) I have nothing. Dribbler muffs the dribble and goes down on his own, dives and rolls in one motion. Lots of people will scream for a travel, but that doesn't mean it is one.

2) Easy travel. You can't do that.

3) Tough one. Offense looks to be trying to draw a foul, defense seems to be fouling, I can see why this was no-called, but I think it was a foul.

4) I thought he waited until it was high enough, the blue player never even jumped.