The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 09:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The NFHS may change the rule to match the NCAA at some point in the future, but that hasn't happened yet.

The reason that there is a difference between this ruling and the dribble one in the NFHS Case Book is that the dribbling player has not yet lifted his pivot foot into the air. As you can read for yourself in 4-44, once a player picks up his pivot, the ball must be passed or shot. If not, by rule, a traveling violation has occurred.
Based on this interpretation, the player should not be allowed to request a timeout to avoid the requirements.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
As you state, by rule he isn't required to either pass or shoot in this instance, so I don't see the problem. If you can't identify a rule which he is violating, then his action is legal.
I point this out because you mentioned that we needed to assume the dribble case play player has a pivot foot and doesnt have to shoot or pass. also, you cited the player who lifts his pivot foot and said he must shoot or pass. implying if he fumbles then he wouldnt be allowed to go get it. however, that player,on one leg, can simply stand there holding ball on one leg. he doesnt have to shoot or pass like some airborne players.

anyway, ive seen case interps come out completely wrong. i just wonder how much the 2000 play you cited was looked at scrutinized etc. has it been over the years and reaffirmed by nfhs? why has it not made it into the book?

Happy Thanksgving to all.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

It is the National Federation. Of course it was not scrutinized. It was thrown out there and someone like always did not think of the other possibilities.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 02:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Control Throwin Backcourt ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is the National Federation. Of course it was not scrutinized. It was thrown out there and someone like always did not think of the other possibilities.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 06:23pm
NFHS Official

No foul, no travel. It's a fumble. I'm thinking I would allow him to recover the fumble.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2014, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I point this out because you mentioned that we needed to assume the dribble case play player has a pivot foot and doesnt have to shoot or pass. also, you cited the player who lifts his pivot foot and said he must shoot or pass. implying if he fumbles then he wouldnt be allowed to go get it. however, that player,on one leg, can simply stand there holding ball on one leg. he doesnt have to shoot or pass like some airborne players.
There are different articles of 4-44 which cover the specific circumstances. Don't confuse them. The basic principle is that the player who has lifted his pivot foot must pass or try for goal prior to the pivot returning to the floor.

So your example of the player lifting one foot and then standing on the other foot is perfectly in line with these requirements. We simply wait and see what happens.