The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Temporarily playing with 4

Team A had just 8 players (underlevel tourney). Two players sub out in a FT situation. One is replaced by a lass with an earring. Partner recognizes before FTA so coach is informed she needs to come out.

As T, I ask player about to enter if she had just came out. Yes, she admits, so I invite her to resume sitting. Ultimately and reluctantly, the last player (keeping the book on the bench) goes in.

The question: If they had had just seven players, do we carry on with four until one can come back in after a clock stoppage? A quick flip of the book didn't get me the confirmation I was hoping to find.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 10:45am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Team A had just 8 players (underlevel tourney). Two players sub out in a FT situation. One is replaced by a lass with an earring. Partner recognizes before FTA so coach is informed she needs to come out.

As T, I ask player about to enter if she had just came out. Yes, she admits, so I invite her to resume sitting. Ultimately and reluctantly, the last player (keeping the book on the bench) goes in.

The question: If they had had just seven players, do we carry on with four until one can come back in after a clock stoppage? A quick flip of the book didn't get me the confirmation I was hoping to find.
There's nothing that says you must make the earring-clad player exit the game. 3.5.7A(c) only says, "...will not be allowed to participate while wearing the item. No penalty is involved. (The player) simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed."
Therefore, just have her remove them and resume play.

Unless I'm wrong. Which I reserve the right, based on rules reference I'm not considering, to be.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 10:46am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

Amesman:

See my (and I do me mine) NFHS Casebook Play 8.2 Situation B. It will give you the answer to your question.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Amesman:

See my (and I do me mine) NFHS Casebook Play 8.2 Situation B. It will give you the answer to your question.

MTD, Sr.
While "playing with 5" trumps "must sit a tick" (channeling my inner Billy Mac -- now I need a shower), it doesn't really apply in this game because the "last girl on the bench" was available.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 11:56am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While "playing with 5" trumps "must sit a tick" (channeling my inner Billy Mac -- now I need a shower), it doesn't really apply in this game because the "last girl on the bench" was available.

Bob:

Amesman's original play involved the team having eight players, but then he asked what to do if the team only had seven players. My answer and the Casebook Play refers to a team only having seven players which is the question (I highlighted it in red when I quoted his post.) that Amesman asked.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Nov 21, 2014 at 11:58am. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
There's nothing that says you must make the earring-clad player exit the game. 3.5.7A(c) only says, "...will not be allowed to participate while wearing the item. No penalty is involved. (The player) simply cannot participate until the illegal items are removed."
Therefore, just have her remove them and resume play.

Unless I'm wrong. Which I reserve the right, based on rules reference I'm not considering, to be.
A player wearing jewelry has to leave the game ... two caseplays.

2.4.5 SITUATION A:

Before the contest both coaches verify that their teams are legally equipped. In the third quarter A1 is discovered wearing a ring.

RULING: A1 must leave the game and remove the jewelry and may re-enter the game at the next substitution opportunity, but no penalty is assessed against A1 or the coach.

2.4.5 SITUATION B:

To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes." Three minutes into the first quarter, U1 observes A5 with a tongue stud.

RULING: When the tongue stud is noticed, A5 must leave the game and may not return until the stud has been removed. There is no technical foul assessed. (3-5-8)
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 12:34pm
This IS My Social Life

You Calling Me Wrong???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I reserve the right...
Whereas before I was sitting, I now stand . . .

. . . corrected.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

LOL ... I'm just saying