The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sunglasses Technical Foul

So I need some insight on this situation..
Middle School girls scrimmage, late in the game with two teams tied...
B1 has the ball near her arc when A1 bumps her with her hip. I call the block. When i reported the foul, Team A's assistant coach jumps out of seat going beserck, because he felt the foul should go on A2 instead of A1. The guy had his sunglasses resting on his forehead (I guess because he forgot to take them off when he came in) and spins around and chunks them at the empty practice court adjacent to the main court. They shatter into several pieces. I call a T on this, and he slowly calms down as I speak to the head coach about this. Was the situation handled right? Was the T warranted? What would you have done?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You're not seriously second-guessing this technical, are you?
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I do not have high tolerance for misbehavior in scrimmages.

Not only was the T warranted, but I think you may have even waited too long. You could've called it the second the AC jumped out of his seat. ACs do not get to question calls and jump off the bench. Period.

Call it as soon as he jumps out of his seat to protest. Then he throws the sunglasses. He's gone in my game.

Any time something is thrown to the ground in disgust, that is a T. See Coach K in the ACC final last year.

Last edited by bballref3966; Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 09:36pm.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Funny story.. One of his shades landed right on my gear bag... I kept it for the memory.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Not only was the T warranted, but I think you may have even waited too long. You could've called it the second the AC jumped out of his seat. ACs do not get to question calls and jump off the bench. Period.

Call it as soon as he jumps out of his seat to protest. Then he throws the sunglasses. He's gone in my game.
Depending on how the game has gone, I'm okay with not necessarily going immediately to a T. This could be a perfect opportunity to give a head coach a chance to get this under control.

As far as the T...an overt action like described can't be ignored. I have no problem with handing a T.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Coincidentally enough, I had a scrimmage tonight, too. One of the head coaches wanted to complain about every call against his team. He got a warning from me, I called a PC foul on one of his guys to which he said "HE WAS STILL MOVING" and one of my partners whacked him there.

Like I said, I do not put up with a lot in scrimmages. If you penalize bad behavior in scrimmages, it may end up preventing misbehavior once the real games start. Of course, I'm not sure why coaches insist on acting poorly in a scrimmage, anyway.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:49pm
AremRed

Tech when the coach stood up yelling. Flagrant tech if I didn't whack him before he threw the glasses. You don't get to do that.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2014, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

A scrimmage and an AC complains about who is charged with the foul to the point of throwing his sunglasses across the gym, and you are 2nd guessing your T? And this is 7th grade girls? What does he do if one of the kids gets a play wrong in practice? I'd say the jerk has no business being around 11 year old kids in the first place. I'd whack him, tell him to go pick up the pieces, report it to the principal and toss him if he said another word.

edit: We aren't allowed to keep score at scrimmage in these parts or in other parts I've been in.

Last edited by Mregor; Thu Nov 13, 2014 at 11:57pm.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
When i reported the foul, Team A's assistant coach jumps out of seat going beserck, because he felt the foul should go on A2 instead of A1.
This is a typo i hope. He wasn't going berserk because you called it on the wrong girl on his team was he? I'm assuming he thought it was a charge on B1? Either way, u did the right thing, of course. If there was a delay between berserk and throwing the shades, then he deserved two T's.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Do you mean a scrimmage with two different teams or a scrimmage with the same program?

Peace
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
as I speak to the head coach about this. Was the situation handled right?
I wasn't there, of course, but I'm not sure there was any reason to speak to the head coach about this.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I wasn't there, of course, but I'm not sure there was any reason to speak to the head coach about this.
I'm speaking to him about how the scrimmage will not continue until the AC leaves.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 09:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm generally hitting this T as soon as I notice the AC has jumped up to complain like that. I'll usually let the HC handle his bench, but this, to me, rises above the point where I'm willing to do that.

If I get the T called before he whips around and tosses the shades (very likely), he'll get a second one for the second act of his show. If I'm slow and don't get it until after the toss, I'll settle for one.

And a preseason scrimmage is perfect for this. AC gets to learn a lesson in behavioral expectations, essentially, for free.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So I need some insight on this situation..
Middle School girls scrimmage, late in the game with two teams tied...
B1 has the ball near her arc when A1 bumps her with her hip. I call the block. When i reported the foul, Team A's assistant coach jumps out of seat going beserck, because he felt the foul should go on A2 instead of A1. The guy had his sunglasses resting on his forehead (I guess because he forgot to take them off when he came in) and spins around and chunks them at the empty practice court adjacent to the main court. They shatter into several pieces. I call a T on this, and he slowly calms down as I speak to the head coach about this. Was the situation handled right? Was the T warranted? What would you have done?
Was the T warranted???? Are you kidding? I have TWO T's here.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 14, 2014, 09:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a supervisor, in another state who's since passed away, who said...

"We're there working for free. We don't give technical fouls. We put the ball on the table and go to the house. Then a coach gets to do it..."

We get paid for scrimmages here.