Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

It's actually a great teaching tool.
Years ago I learned my lesson, though my gaffe was not nearly as bad as the OP.

BV, 3-man crew. To set the Crew Chief's mood, earlier in the game our other partner had granted a time-out to the defense during a live ball.

2nd or 3rd quarter. Made free throw, followed by a press, including on-ball pressure on the throw-in. I was the C and had set up slightly below free throw line extended. CC was new Trail with throw-in responsibilities.

A1 runs end line to my half of the court so that he is easily in my line of site. B1 reaches up and touches the ball. I blow my whistle (from the C) to call a T for the throw-in infraction. Trail makes a beeline towards me with fire in his eyes. He does take the time to ask me what my whistle is for, but after my answer and in no uncertain terms he informs me that A1 had reached the ball over the end line. He calls the Lead over and tells us that we are going with an inadvertent whistle, and that we better not f**k his game up (remembering the earlier time-out gaffe).

I had no problem with his demeanor during the event other than the "my game" reference. "This game" would have been more appropriate.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
For you to be open to that kind of peer critique is laudable. In fact, for a whole association or assigning pool to be nurtured to have that kinda attitude would really be a benefit. Self-inviting peer critique is an asset towards sure improvement.
I always welcome constructive and productive criticism. I especially crave it from supervisors. There was a five year period before I got picked up in D3 ball that I worked in a JuCo where my closest games were at least a 2 1/2 hour drive. The supervisor was a multiple D1 Final Four official who could nit-pick your game to pieces. There was many a lonely ride home where I would ask myself if I was really good enough to be pursuing this avocation above the HS level.

I finally reconciled myself that he wouldn't bother to spend all that time breaking my game down unless he felt 1) that I could handle it; and 2) that he saw potential me, and felt I was worth the effort.

Now when I get the chance to mentor or observe younger officials I tell them I can either pat you on the back and say "great job", or I can point out those little things you need to work on that will help you move up whatever ladder you're trying to climb.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 03:34pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I always welcome constructive and productive criticism.
One crew I work with is accustomed to "Goin' 'Round the Horn" for post-game every game. Official A, then B, then C each offers something -- anything -- a call each made that each might like to either "have back" or review on video. Discussion of each by the group. Then another round where each suggests something he saw of each of the other two that might merit reconsideration or special review on the video. Healthy interchange and enabling introspection always results. And thereby it seems track of improvement is laid. I'm confident this is nothing new to most of you...

Contra . . . Post season partner last year, as I tried to enact the same kinda post-game analysis: "No, we don't do that kinda stuff with our crew. We figure, if a partner called it, he wouldn't have called it if it wasn't correct." Poor guy. Lack of self- and peer-critique showed.

Lack of a good post-game seems closer to the latter than the former.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Freddy,

APG and I attended a camp run by a very successful NBA official this past off-season. He swears by peer criticism. The camp includes group breakdown of camp games. He would get highly irritated when we would be afraid to candidly assess our fellow officials on tape.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 05:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Freddy,

APG and I attended a camp run by a very successful NBA official this past off-season. He swears by peer criticism. The camp includes group breakdown of camp games. He would get highly irritated when we would be afraid to candidly assess our fellow officials on tape.
I really like peer criticism, but it depends on the area and level. I've noticed NBA and NCAA-W officials are quick to offer criticism but among mens college officials where I live the unspoken rule is you don't talk plays. I had to learn that the hard way.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2014, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I really like peer criticism, but it depends on the area and level. I've noticed NBA and NCAA-W officials are quick to offer criticism but among mens college officials where I live the unspoken rule is you don't talk plays. I had to learn that the hard way.
You need to get out more.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 01, 2014, 01:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm Not Judging, But ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
.. where I live the unspoken rule is you don't talk plays.
It was like that thirty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut. Back then, discussions between games involving subvarsity, and varsity, officials; or halftime, or postgame, discussions involving partners, never broached topics regarding whether a "call" was good, or bad. It was an "unspoken" rule. Everything else was up for discussion, but never whether a specific call (foul/no foul, travel/no travel, etc.) was right, or wrong.

We have evolved over the last thirty years. It is now acceptable to ask, delicately, "Hey? What did you see on (such and such) play?", and to then discuss the interpretation of the rule on the play, even involving plays like block/charge decisions, such discussions being absolutely verboten thirty short years ago.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 01, 2014 at 01:55pm.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It was like that thirty years ago, here in my little corner of Connecticut. Back then, discussions between games involving subvarsity, and varsity, officials; or halftime, or postgame, discussions involving partners, never broached topics regarding whether a "call" was good, or bad. It was an "unspoken" rule. Everything else was up for discussion, but never whether a specific call (foul/no foul, travel/no travel, etc.) was right, or wrong.

We have evolved over the last thirty years. It is now acceptable to ask, delicately, "Hey? What did you see on (such and such) play?", and to then discuss the interpretation of the rule on the play, even involving plays like block/charge decisions, such discussions being absolutely verboten thirty short years ago.
@ verboten! Lol!
Yet I must confess that I did overturn a crew member's foul call who called in my PCA, and his call was pure wrong then we had a rather heated side discussion at any rate, we can never allow hubris to such an extreme extent as was shown in that vid.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2014, 11:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gesundheit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
@ verboten! Lol!
One of my Irish Dad's favorite expressions. He learned this from German prisoners of war as an Army Staff Sergeant fighting his way along the Apennines in Italy during WWII.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Closed Thread