The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 12:46pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
thank for sharing
You say he "nailed it" when talking about the player running out of bounds on the baseline, receiving a pass in the corner, and hitting a three. However, ARemRed had a frowny face, which is probably because he didn't make the call when he should have. Running OOBs like that is a violation.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
You say he "nailed it" when talking about the player running out of bounds on the baseline, receiving a pass in the corner, and hitting a three. However, ARemRed had a frowny face, which is probably because he didn't make the call when he should have. Running OOBs like that is a violation.
*I interpreted AremReds as meaning/saying that he "dis-allowed" that 3-ball--he waved it off--is what I thought he said/meant. Obviously, I missed the emoticon in his post and lost proper context/misinterpreted of what he wrote.
However, good catch though, BryanV211!
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 03:18pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*I interpreted AremReds as meaning/saying that he "dis-allowed" that 3-ball--he waved it off--is what I thought he said/meant. Obviously, I missed the emoticon in his post and lost proper context/misinterpreted of what he wrote.
However, good catch though, BryanV211!
I figured one of two things, because of how well respected you are around here...

1. You misread his post, making an honest mistake

2. I got another rule wrong. It's gotten to the point that whenever I disagree with somebody here I think I'm wrong.

That leads me to this point, which is off topic (sorry)... this site is awesome. I just told my crew chief about it because it's helped me so much. Not just in rules, but it's humbled me and made me a better official.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 04:03pm
AremRed

Yeah I missed the running OOB violation. The kid compounded the issue by making the three.

Kid throwing the ball at me over his shoulder wasn't a flagrant tech, he had gotten one earlier in the game. It was a toss in my general direction -- worthy of a 'common' technical but not flagrant tech. If the kid turned and woofed it straight at me then I would go flagrant right away.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Varsity Boys Jamboree game last night.

A1 throwing ball in on sideline near his basket. B1 jumps and instead of jumping vertically jumps forward and contacts A1 out of bounds. At first I gave a Technical foul hand signal, but then saw the error of my ways and changed it to an intentional foul on B1. Team A shot 2 foul shots and was given throw in at previous spot.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Had my first game of the season this past Saturday and wouldn't you know it, because of this thread, we started of the season with 3 unusual calls where we got together to make sure we were straight on our ruling.

Men's JuCo so we were using NCAA-Men's rule set:
  • A1 bringing ball up court vs. man pressure. A1 ends his dribble while straddling division line and attempts to pass ball to A2 who is still in backcourt. B1, with backcourt status, tips the pass, which hits off A2 and rolls back to free throw line. A2 retrieves ball and then passes across court to A1 who is still in backcourt. Shot clock hits 25 seconds as A1 is still dribbling in backcourt. I am trail and whistle the 10 second violation.
  • Post player A1 loses ball while making a move to basket and the ball goes across the lane and is headed OOB along end line. A2 saves the ball by throwing it out to the 28' line right in front of the Trail. B3 is just about to grab the ball when A3 dives for ball and takes out B3's legs. Trail whistles foul. We confer and determine that A still had team control, so no bonus free throws are shot.
  • A1 on a fast break gets chased down by B1 who knocks ball away from A1 towards the end line underneath the basket. B1 chases ball down and saves it by grabbing it with 2 hands and throwing it over his head. Ball travels over backboard back towards the playing court. We call the violation, but also confer and reset shot clock because we determine B1 had PC during the save.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had my first game of the season this past Saturday and wouldn't you know it, because of this thread, we started of the season with 3 unusual calls where we got together to make sure we were straight on our ruling.

Men's JuCo so we were using NCAA-Men's rule set:
Must have been great to get back on the court and with activity that was sure to keep things interesting!
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 11:12pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Talking

Not sure if this counts as unusual or interesting, but it happened in my last game of the Fall MS girls season.

A1 is shooting the second of two free throws. As the ball is in flight and before it hits anything, B4 crosses the three-point line to crash for the rebound. As the T, I signaled a delayed violation. Meanwhile, A1's try is an air ball. I confer with my partner to let him know about the violation I observed, and we go with a double violation and AP.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Popeye, CamoronRust, StatMang, all of those cited incidences were certainly atypical and worthy of reflection by us all.
thanks for sharing!