The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Question Back court violation question

Here's a scenario:

1. A player from team A shoots the ball in front court, another player from team A secures the offensive board
2. Same player from team A attempts to dribble, a player from team B deflects/pokes the ball away towards back court
3. Now player from team A who lost the ball hustles back and deflects it away(before player from team B can gain control of the ball, still in front court) and the ball rolls into back court
4. Another player from team A picks up the ball in back court

Is this a back court violation?

Last edited by harsha_nails; Tue Oct 28, 2014 at 01:28am.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:06am
Never Stop Learning

Ask yourself. Did team A still have team control in their front court when the A player deflected it into the back court. Then there is your answer.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt decision criterea:

1. Is there team control inbounds?
2. Did the ball gain frontcourt status?
3. Was team A the last to touch the ball BEFORE it returned to the backcourt?
4. Was team A the first to touch the ball AFTER it returned to the backcourt?

If you answer yes to all 4 questions, it is a violation. Otherwise, no violation.

(Edited to say "A" in #4)

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 28, 2014 at 10:52am.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
Ask yourself. Did team A still have team control in their front court when the A player deflected it into the back court. Then there is your answer.
No it was loose ball, and the player from team A just poked it back to back court where his teammate picked it up
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 06:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Definitions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha_nails View Post
No it was loose ball, and the player from team A just poked it back to back court where his teammate picked it up
Quote:
... player from team A secures the offensive board
4-12: Team control continues until:
a. The ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
b. An opponent secures control.
c. The ball becomes dead.
While the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of
the team whose player last had control, unless it is a try or tap for goal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This only means there was no player control at the time, but team control still remained for Team A, and that's what's important for the backcourt rule.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for clarifying
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 08:40am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
"LOOSE BALL" only has a rules based definition when millionaires are on the court. Were you playing under NBA rules?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 04:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
"LOOSE BALL" only has a rules based definition when millionaires are on the court.
Or, people who want to officiate millionaires!
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
"LOOSE BALL" only has a rules based definition when millionaires are on the court. Were you playing under NBA rules?
What if we were? Does the NBA rule on back court violation differ from FIBA?
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if we were? Does the NBA rule on back court violation differ from FIBA?
Under NBA rules, team control ends on a defensive deflection. As such, your play would not be a backcourt violation under NBA rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 01:47am
In Time Out

just to clarify something similar

So if Team A after a made shot throws the ball to their front court. ball is deflected with no team control into Team A's backcourt- ball touches a Team A player in frontcourt but no control. Team A is the first to touch in the backcourt.

No violation here? Am I reading the previous posts correctly? There is no backcourt violation until team control has been established inbounds?
But in this situation is the 10 second rule in effect? So somehow no team control inbounds, ball goes back and forth between front and backcourt and 10 seconds pass. Does team control have to be established in the frontcourt for the 10 second count to stop? So team A could have both feet in the front court, touches the ball, but no control and it goes to the backcourt. Would I continue my 10 second count?

Ok let me add on to this. I'm still a bit confused about something(s). Team A throws the ball into their front-court. A2 touches and then A3 touches in the backcourt. No control in FC but this is a violation because of the location of A2 in the FC.

But there is no team control after a shot. So A1 shoots, misses and A2 taps the ball into the backcourt. A3 gets the ball. No violation here because no team control.

yeah I need to go to sleep, making this too confusing.

Last edited by mutantducky; Wed Oct 29, 2014 at 02:11am.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
just to clarify something similar

So if Team A after a made shot throws the ball to their front court. ball is deflected with no team control into Team A's backcourt- ball touches a Team A player in frontcourt but no control. Team A is the first to touch in the backcourt.

No violation here? Am I reading the previous posts correctly? There is no backcourt violation until team control has been established inbounds?
You got it.

Quote:
But in this situation is the 10 second rule in effect? So somehow no team control inbounds, ball goes back and forth between front and backcourt and 10 seconds pass. Does team control have to be established in the frontcourt for the 10 second count to stop? So team A could have both feet in the front court, touches the ball, but no control and it goes to the backcourt. Would I continue my 10 second count?
The 10 second count (for NFHS games) doesn't even start until there is team control....so no count at any point in the situation above.

Quote:

Ok let me add on to this. I'm still a bit confused about something(s). Team A throws the ball into their front-court. A2 touches and then A3 touches in the backcourt. No control in FC but this is a violation because of the location of A2 in the FC.
If you are saying this a is a throwin, then there is no violation.

However, if you're saying that A has the ball in their backcourt, in team control, then throws the ball into their frontcourt where A2 touches it such that it goes back to the backcourt where A3 touches it, that is a violation. Ball inbounds, team control, frontcourt ball status, A2 last to touch before going to backcourt, A3 first to touch after going into the backcourt.

Remember that once TEAM control starts, it continues until one of a few instances and the backcourt rule is about team control inbounds. It doesn't depend on player control existing at any of the locations.

Quote:
But there is no team control after a shot. So A1 shoots, misses and A2 taps the ball into the backcourt. A3 gets the ball. No violation here because no team control.

yeah I need to go to sleep, making this too confusing.
Correct.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Oct 29, 2014 at 12:31pm.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Black List ...

Quote:
... there is no team control after a shot. So A1 shoots, misses and A2 taps the ball into the backcourt. A3 gets the ball. No violation here because no team control.
During a throwin, even under a team’s own basket, if the throwin is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; or after a missed field goal attempt, or a missed foul shot attempt, if the ball is deflected, tipped, or batted by an offensive player in the frontcourt to an offensive player in the backcourt; these are not a backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 06:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Worth Repeating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The 10 second count (for NFHS games) doesn't even start until their is team control....
Good point Camron Rust. The ten second count starts with player control (inbounds), not necessarily with a player "touch" (although they often happen at the same time).