The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:53am
@NDAnnouncer on Twitter

That makes no sense since the clock doesn't stop after a basket is scored unless there is a foul, a time out or is at the end of the quarter. There is a distinct difference in making an "announcement" versus referencing who scored.

Last edited by NDAnnouncer; Wed Oct 29, 2014 at 11:03am.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAnnouncer View Post
That makes no sense since the clock doesn't stop after a basket is scored unless there is a foul, a time out or is at the end of the quarter. There is a distinct difference in making an "announcement" versus referencing who scored.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAnnouncer View Post
The only things that I notice that will be the biggest change is that you aren't supposed to reference how many points are scored by a player and you aren't supposed to reference how many personal fouls a player has and how many team fouls a team has. I disagree with those points...but will go along with them.
I can agree in terms of fouls. That actually helps us on the court when we hear a player has 4 or 5 or a team has 6, 7, 9 or 10. I disagree on the points. No need to say that during the play. If a kid has some crazy amount that can probably wait until a dead ball.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 02:48pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Agreed

I can agree in terms of fouls. That actually helps us on the court when we hear a player has 4 or 5 or a team has 6, 7, 9 or 10. I disagree on the points. No need to say that during the play. If a kid has some crazy amount that can probably wait until a dead ball.
I think he's referring to whether it's a two or three point basket, as opposed to saying "Greg Jones now has 20 points." I don't see the problem with saying it was a two or three, if the shot is in question.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 03:00pm
NFHS Official

Announcer Responsibilities

May Be Announced
Player who scored
Player charged with foul
Player attempting free throw
Team charged with time out
Length of timeout 30/60
Player entering the game
Team Rosters

May not be Announced
Number of points player has scored
Number of fouls on player
Number of fouls team has
Number of time outs or number remaining
Time remaining in quarter/game
Type of foul or violation
Emphatic 2 or 3 point goal.

This is the NFHS bulletin point.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I think he's referring to whether it's a two or three point basket, as opposed to saying "Greg Jones now has 20 points." I don't see the problem with saying it was a two or three, if the shot is in question.
If that's the case then we agree on all counts, though it's only if a shot is a three. Even then if we do what we're supposed to do everyone in the gym will know it's a three.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 03:21pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
If that's the case then we agree on all counts, though it's only if a shot is a three. Even then if we do what we're supposed to do everyone in the gym will know it's a three.
Frankly, I think this entire thing is silly. As long as announcers don't go all "And 1" on us, or do anything disrespectful, then who cares? I don't know what's worse, this or the fashion police stuff.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 04:10pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Frankly, I think this entire thing is silly. As long as announcers don't go all "And 1" on us, or do anything disrespectful, then who cares?
I don't. The rule is vague, so I doubt my state will care if my enforcement is vague.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

And I agree with all posters in that our games are not to be ab-used as a time for the "wanna be speech majors to hone their speaking skills;we hear enough embellishments from the fans. So often when they are yelling "and one" in reality it is "and none" is what I think to tell them, heheh.

But I must say during a game break the PA woman realllyyy advertised the taco and cheese on sale in the lobby. Hilarious even!

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Oct 29, 2014 at 10:04pm.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:12am
NFHS Official

Got this in an email this morning, this is how we are to handle this.

"The announcer repnsibilities are listed. Should you be at a contest where the announcer is not following this protocol-- DO NOT CONFRONT THE ANNOUNCER. notify game management if possible and/or contact me(director of officiating).
Old Mon Nov 03, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Announcer Responsibilities

May Be Announced
Player who scored
Player charged with foul
Player attempting free throw
Team charged with time out
Length of timeout 30/60
Player entering the game
Team Rosters

May not be Announced
Number of points player has scored
Number of fouls on player
Number of fouls team has
Number of time outs or number remaining
Time remaining in quarter/game
Type of foul or violation
Emphatic 2 or 3 point goal.

This is the NFHS bulletin point.
I don't see this as a huge problem in my games...It is a shame that a rule statement for all schools has been created. I'm not a fan of it but this is my take on it:

The rule or statement from the Nfhs which is contained in the power point presentation addresses:

1. WHEN announcements/comments can be made-- it says, unless there is an emergency:
"announcements or COMMENTS shall be made during those times when there is a stoppage of the clock and the ball is not live such as time outs,between quarters, pre game, half time and post game." NFHS presentation Slide 4.

The use of the word "comments" in the slide means announcer can't say anything unless clock stopped and ball dead.

The presentation then goes on to discuss

2. What announcements/comments can be made (when the clock is stopped and the ball dead).

The items listed above are examples of announcements that can and cannot be made when the ball is dead and clock stopped.

the presentation says we are to contact game management if it becomes an issue during the game. our illinois site adds that we are to write a special report if an issue arises.

The NFHS may say something different on it eventually but the wording of it at this time seems in my opinion to require silence from the announcer unless clock stopped and ball dead.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2014, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

A discussion on this rule happened at our game last night, not by the officials, but by the table personnel.

It's understandable where this rule came from with some announcers thinking they are on the "And1" tour, but the POE seems like "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

Since the actual NFHS rule wording is vague, we now have to rely on the POE description. Going by that they want the announcer to be a "Champion of Character", but essentially restrict them to being a tennis announcer.

The biggest issue with the POE is the fact that nothing can be said with the clock running. It may not happen often, but you can go several game minutes and MANY points with no stoppage. Should the announcer then give a recap (as fast as possible before the ball is returned to play) of "The last 9 baskets were made, in order, by John A., Bill, B, John A., Larry C., George M., etc...."? That just seems asinine and ridiculous. Maybe that's not what NFHS intended, but that's how they worded it. It's one thing to keep things like "Tonight's winning 50/50 number is..." to time outs and stoppages, but to say the 5 second "#23, John A. with the basket" would be so disruptive to the game and need a rule for it is another.

Now most people agree that, unless the announcer really is going overboard, most won't make a big fuss about it. I texted a friend who is a supervising official in PA after the game. He stated the biggest issue is that there is no designated punishment (unless your state organization implements one) outlined by the NFHS. He also stated that you could probably, in six degrees of separation type reasoning, end up giving the announcer (and the home team) a T, it really isn't supported in the rule book. You would have to assert that by breaking rule 1-18 and not complying they are then being "unsportsmanlike" thus breaking another rule, which then allows for the T to be given. The problem interpreting it that way is that it can't always be consistent. If it is a neutral site game, or a holiday tournament game you would end up having to penalize a team who doesn't control that personnel. If a rule can't consistently be applied then the punishment is not appropriate. The best course of action is, if you really want the person to be quiet or gone, is refuse to continue the game until they are removed (similar to a disruptive fan). As Rich1 said, the AD/Game Manager's patience will run out LONG before yours will.