The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I guess you'd have to determine which happened first.

Did A2 touch the ball and then step out of bounds, which would result in a throw-in for Team B on the endline.

Or did A2 step out of bounds and then touch the ball, giving Team B a throw-in on the endline.

You have the same answer for both.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:51am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You have the same answer for both.
Oops. It should read like this...

Did A2 touch the ball and then step out of bounds, which would result in a throw-in for Team B on the sideline.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oops. It should read like this...

Did A2 touch the ball and then step out of bounds, which would result in a throw-in for Team B on the sideline.
Your OP is incorrect. It doesn't matter which happened first.

9-2-2 "... touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds)... before going out of bounds untouched"

9-2-11 (the proscription on being OOB during a throw in) applies only when two are OOB trying to take the throw-in, or the pass to the second is not a throw-in pass, but a "run the endline" pass.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:01am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Your OP is incorrect. It doesn't matter which happened first.

9-2-2 "... touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds)... before going out of bounds untouched"

9-2-11 (the proscription on being OOB during a throw in) applies only when two are OOB trying to take the throw-in, or the pass to the second is not a throw-in pass, but a "run the endline" pass.
Okay, so let me see if I got this straight...

The fact that A2 touches out of bounds before touching the ball is not a throw-in violation. All we have in this case is an OOB call, giving Team B a throw-in on the sideline where A2 was out of bounds.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so let me see if I got this straight...

The fact that A2 touches out of bounds before touching the ball is not a throw-in violation. All we have in this case is an OOB call, giving Team B a throw-in on the sideline where A2 was out of bounds.
Correct.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., Remember This ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
1) Endline throw in by A1 travels to mid-court and is first touched by A2 who is standing out of bounds (standing with a foot touching the sideline).

Two rules seem to conflict:

9-2-11: No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after the designated-spot throw in begins -- this appears to have been violated as A2 was out of bounds after the throw in began, and would suggest that B's throw in is on the endline at the original throw-in spot.

4-42-5: The throw-in ends when: b. The passed ball touches or is touched by another player out of bounds -- this appears to suggest that the throw in ends with the touch and the throw in for B would be at the sideline spot by the out of bounds violation. But if A was out of bounds for the touch, then they must have been out of bounds after the throw in began (and before it ended), which violates 9-2-11.

So... would you consider this a throw-in violation and bring the ball back to the original spot for B's throw-in, or is this different?
Many years ago, if the throwin was first touched by B2, who is standing out of bounds, it would be considered a throwin violation by Team A, and Team B would get the ball back at the original spot of the throwin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Many years ago, if the throwin was first touched by B2, who is standing out of bounds, it would be considered a throwin violation by Team A, and Team B would get the ball back at the original spot of the throwin.
I am not sure if that was the way it was or that was the way some were interpreting it to be.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I am not sure if that was the way it was or that was the way some were interpreting it to be.
The way I remember it, it must have been quietly changed because the rule said as much, then they quietly changed it back to where it is now.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2014, 12:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
9-2-6: The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.

If the "roll" started in the OOB area, that violates 9-2-2: "The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court..."

Cf. PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation...occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

BillyMac:

Yes I do. Fortunately it was a short lived rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 24, 2014, 05:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Way We Were ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That was the way it was. Back then, the situation was treated the same as if the throwin ball hit an out of bounds wall (untouched by anybody inbounds). It was a casebook play interpretation. There was no distinction between a player out of bounds, and an object out of bounds, for this specific situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)