The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 07:12am
Administrator

We have started to discuss two different, but yet the same, plays in this thread.

1) The rule with regard to OT being an extension of the Fourth Quarter and the Second Half applies to the counting of Team Fouls and does not the effect the disposition of CEs.

2) Therefore whether the CE occurred with five seconds left in the: a) Second Quarter/First Half, b) Fourth Quarter/Second Half, or c) any OT period, the FTs are part of the Period in which the CE occurred and in the case of (2a) the FTs are attempted at Team A's Basket in the Second Quarter/First Half. Once the FTS are attempted the next Period can begin.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
We have started to discuss two different, but yet the same, plays in this thread.

1) The rule with regard to OT being an extension of the Fourth Quarter and the Second Half applies to the counting of Team Fouls and does not the effect the disposition of CEs.

2) Therefore whether the CE occurred with five seconds left in the: a) Second Quarter/First Half, b) Fourth Quarter/Second Half, or c) any OT period, the FTs are part of the Period in which the CE occurred and in the case of (2a) the FTs are attempted at Team A's Basket in the Second Quarter/First Half. Once the FTS are attempted the next Period can begin.

MTD, Sr.
So, foul right at the buzzer ending the second quarter. Should be the 7th, but is thought to be the 6th.

The third quarter starts, teams go back and forth for a while not scoring, then the ball I tipped out of bounds (first dead ball of the half). table buzzes -- hey, we should have shot FTs at the end of the last quarter.

It's still correctable.

You're shooting them at the first half basket?

Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:24am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So, foul right at the buzzer ending the second quarter. Should be the 7th, but is thought to be the 6th.

The third quarter starts, teams go back and forth for a while not scoring, then the ball I tipped out of bounds (first dead ball of the half). table buzzes -- hey, we should have shot FTs at the end of the last quarter.

It's still correctable.

Bob:

As weird as it sounds, yes.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 12:06pm
Stubborn Member

It seems that the question you have to ask is "what basket was the team shooting at at the time of the error?" And the answer to that will give you the answer to the question of what basket to shoot the free throw(s) at.

As someone already pointed out, when it comes to the players, coaches, fans, and the vast majority of people, they either don't know or don't care... just shoot 'em.

But when it comes to other refs and especially supervisors/observers, doing it right does matter.

So can anybody say for sure? Seems as though we have highly regarded officials answering differently.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It seems that the question you have to ask is "what basket was the team shooting at at the time of the error?" And the answer to that will give you the answer to the question of what basket to shoot the free throw(s) at.

As someone already pointed out, when it comes to the players, coaches, fans, and the vast majority of people, they either don't know or don't care... just shoot 'em.

But when it comes to other refs and especially supervisors/observers, doing it right does matter.

So can anybody say for sure? Seems as though we have highly regarded officials answering differently.
And this why even most officials who are there aren't going to care where you shot the FTs. The answer is difficult enough to find, the focus will be on the itself in any post-game discussions among refs.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the reason for the rule that states that the points for a free throw go to the shooters team, no matter which basket is used (assuming no correction is made of course)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 02:20pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post

I can honestly say my supervisor, coordinator, or evaluator wouldn't care which end they were shot on. Is it a correctable error and was it corrected. That's all that really matters. Is this situation really a nit that needs to be picked?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 04:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Bob:

As weird as it sounds, yes.

MTD, Sr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

It's still correctable.

Bob:

I thought about the answer I gave you and I believe that by rule we have to attempt the FTs at the Team A's First Half Basket. That said, if I were evaluating the game officials in such a game I would not ding them if they did not attempt the FTs at the First Half Basket. But, I believe that Team B's HC would have a good case to claim that attempting them at Team A's Second Half Basket would be a CE for attempting the FTs at the wrong basket. In the first case the game officials will look silly, and in the second case they could be creating a second CE. I guess this is a question that the NFHS and NCAA "knuckle heads" will have to sort out.

In other words: It is six of one and half dozen of the other.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 04:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I can honestly say my supervisor, coordinator, or evaluator wouldn't care which end they were shot on. Is it a correctable error and was it corrected. That's all that really matters. Is this situation really a nit that needs to be picked?

OKREF:

Read my post just above this one. I agree with your analysis.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Again, IMO, at which basket the FT's are attempted is not such an important issue. My concern is in which quarter are these FT's going to be a part of? If the attempts are going to be recorded as part of the third quarter, this could put the individual and the team at a disadvantage and could affect the outcome of the game. In Ohio, we have a 5 qtr. maximum/day rule. What if A10 plays 3 quarters in the JV game, enters the varsity game just before halftime, and happens to be the player involved in the CE? Assume the coach does not plan to play him in the 3rd quarter but now we are informed of the CE. A10 attempts his merited free throws. If the attempts are recorded as part of the third quarter it would stand to reason that he participated in the quarter and would be charged, through no fault of his own, with his fifth and final quarter. I think it would be wise to have the attempts recorded as part of the second quarter when the error actually occurred. If the officials decide to shoot at the original basket that's fine with me, or if the 3rd quarter already started (Bob's scenario) and the officials say we're going to shoot here- that would be fine as well.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:00pm
Administrator

Bob read this.

After much thought, I have decided that A1 should attempt his FTs in Team A's Second Half Basket because the CE was discovered during the Second Half.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:07pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Again, IMO, at which basket the FT's are attempted is not such an important issue. My concern is in which quarter are these FT's going to be a part of? If the attempts are going to be recorded as part of the third quarter, this could put the individual and the team at a disadvantage and could affect the outcome of the game. In Ohio, we have a 5 qtr. maximum/day rule. What if A10 plays 3 quarters in the JV game, enters the varsity game just before halftime, and happens to be the player involved in the CE? Assume the coach does not plan to play him in the 3rd quarter but now we are informed of the CE. A10 attempts his merited free throws. If the attempts are recorded as part of the third quarter it would stand to reason that he participated in the quarter and would be charged, through no fault of his own, with his fifth and final quarter. I think it would be wise to have the attempts recorded as part of the second quarter when the error actually occurred. If the officials decide to shoot at the original basket that's fine with me, or if the 3rd quarter already started (Bob's scenario) and the officials say we're going to shoot here- that would be fine as well.
I couldn't care less about how many quarters someone plays. That has no bearing on any decision I would make during a game.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:10pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post

BillyU2:

I have been an OhioHSAA registered basketball official for 44 years. Do not bother yourself with the number of quarters that a player has played.

The only time we (OhioHSAA officials) are concerned about the number of quarters a player has played is when the Scorer informs us: a) that a player is playing in his 6th quarter or b) a player who has played in 5 quarters has reported to the Scorer to re-enter the game and it will be his 6th quarter of play.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:53pm
Stubborn Member

I know it doesn't matter where the free throws are attempted, but there has to be a right answer, and I'd rather know the right answer than to shrug my shoulders if I were ever asked.

Call me OCD.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BillyU2:

I have been an OhioHSAA registered basketball official for 44 years. Do not bother yourself with the number of quarters that a player has played.

The only time we (OhioHSAA officials) are concerned about the number of quarters a player has played is when the Scorer informs us: a) that a player is playing in his 6th quarter or b) a player who has played in 5 quarters has reported to the Scorer to re-enter the game and it will be his 6th quarter of play.

MTD, Sr.
Mark, you missed the point. I said my concern is which quarter will the attempted free throws be a part of. (yes, it could create a concern regarding # of quarters played later) but for right now, which quarter will the free throws be a part of? You and your partners return to the court before intermission is over and the scorer informs you A10 should have received a one and one just before the end of the second quarter. You inform the scorer and the coaches we have a correctable error and that A10 will receive his merited free throws. The scorer asks you- in which quarter do I record the free throws, the 2nd or 3rd? And you say . . .?
Closed Thread