The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 02:12pm
Administrator

Just to be contrary.

If one takes the time to look up U.S. law with regard to the U.S. Flag: Athletic uniforms and officiating uniforms do not meet the criteria to wear the Flag on them.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If one takes the time to look up U.S. law with regard to the U.S. Flag: Athletic uniforms and officiating uniforms do not meet the criteria to wear the Flag on them.

MTD, Sr.
This is why I do not wear flags on any of my clothing. The Stars and Stripes deserve better.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 03:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Don't know about your state but mine has a state-wide athletic association which works with its member schools to regulate and administer athletic events (including the state postseason tournaments), establish standards for athlete eligibility, and determine qualifications for contestants, coaches, and officials.

Every official working a game at a member school must wear the current state association path signifying their approval to work that sport.
Our state is no different than your state. You cannot work a game at any HS level without being licensed by the state.

Our state has a "clean shirt" policy, however, banning the wearing of patches with the exception of an optional flag patch.

I have a drawer full of Illinois patches from when I used to register as a reciprocal official. I can wear them, but that doesn't make me an Illinois official.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 04:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is this any different than a state saying which ball must be used in a state? Is it any different than requiring certain procedures to be followed with eligibility of players? Is it any different than what a state might require for what kind of procedure is followed player uniforms? If you live in a state that has none of these requirements, that is great. But I do not see why this is any different than any requirement. I also agree that wearing a state patch does not mean you are licensed. But when you do not wear one, it is certainly noticed, even for us when it is not a sanctioned state game.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 04:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
even for us when it is not a sanctioned state game.
We don't wear our patches when we do private schools.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2014, 08:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And how do the participants know that I didn't just borrow the patch, or get a shirt at goodwill that has a patch on it, or I registered 5 years ago to get the patch, but haven't registered since?

Unless the patch is issued every year, then the patch doesn't really show a whole lot more than no patch. (and, we have the same patch requirement here)
New patch every year. Same design but different colors and year number. Guys could wear borrowed patches and maybe no one would know, but our state association found out those officials would be banned.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
*So, are you implying that it is quasi "slanderous" "illegal" and/or "irreverent" to adorn our Ref shirts with the US flag? I see tons of college refs wearing flags and also there's Catholics leaguse here in our state where the refs wear a flag on left sleeve and what looks like a "flueres-de-lile" logo patch on the other sleeve (i.e., it looks like the N.O. Saints helmet artwork sort of).
Are you saying that all of this is not legit perhaps even sacriligious?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*So, are you implying that it is quasi "slanderous" "illegal" and/or "irreverent" to adorn our Ref shirts with the US flag?
Slanderous: No
Illegal: Yes*
Irreverent: Perhaps
Not as patriotic as people think it is: Yes

It's like when people let the flag touch the ground or get dirty. Or they hang the flag vertically with the union in the upper right. Or leave the flag out all night without a light on it. Or when Bank of America uses it as part of the corporate logo. As I said, the Stars and Stripes deserve better.

*Illegal in the sense that it goes against the Flag Code, which is Federal law. However, there is no penalty outlined in the Flag Code.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Pledge Allegiance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Illegal in the sense that it goes against the Flag Code, which is Federal law. However, there is no penalty outlined in the Flag Code.
Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code: The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.[
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 06:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code: The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations.

This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.[
You know, "should not" does not mean "shall not".
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:13pm
Administrator

Quote:
Slanderous: No
Illegal: Yes*
Irreverent: Perhaps
Not as patriotic as people think it is: Yes

It's like when people let the flag touch the ground or get dirty. Or they hang the flag vertically with the union in the upper right. Or leave the flag out all night without a light on it. Or when Bank of America uses it as part of the corporate logo. As I said, the Stars and Stripes deserve better.

*Illegal in the sense that it goes against the Flag Code, which is Federal law. However, there is no penalty outlined in the Flag Code.

Altor:

I could not have said it better.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:38pm
AremRed

Quote:

While the Flag Code does not recognize a difference between an actual flag versus a facsimile patch or representation of the flag, I personally there is a difference.

As for the legality of the Flag Code, I just think they're more like guidelines.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Has anyone purchased one of these shirts with the flag imprinted on the shirt?
Yes. 2 Smitty football shirts.

There is no problem with fading, though you should ALWAYS wash shirts on cold and hang dry. DO NOT put shirts in the dryer. EVER. The Smitty shirts will dry in less than 30 minutes.

Also, if your washer has a double rinse function, use it. Your shirts will be much cleaner. Some washers will leave small soap residue in the shirts, and soap attracts dirt -- hence, the shirt get dirtier when worn.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Yes. 2 Smitty football shirts.

There is no problem with fading, though you should ALWAYS wash shirts on cold and hang dry. DO NOT put shirts in the dryer. EVER. The Smitty shirts will dry in less than 30 minutes.
Why?

Dryer sheets? Absolutely not (they clog the channels of wicking fabrics). High heat, no to that too.

But, low heat, nothing wrong with that. There is no reason to not dry them as long as the heat isn't too high and you don't over dry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Also, if your washer has a double rinse function, use it. Your shirts will be much cleaner. Some washers will leave small soap residue in the shirts, and soap attracts dirt -- hence, the shirt get dirtier when worn.
Or just use less detergent and save the water.

Or use one of the following that is designed for high tech fabrics...
Amazon.com: Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash): Sports & Outdoors

or
http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Sport-W...4298854&sr=8-2

I use the first one with all my stuff...compression undergarments, ref shirts, ski clothes, basically any thing that has special waterproof or water wicking characteristics.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Flag patches here are only worn by armed forces veterans.