The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 19, 2014, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is Connecticut the only place in the country that has broached this subject?

Has anyone out there in Forum-Land heard of such a clarification?
The NFHS included a statement in the casebook 9.1 Comment ... "Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space may enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends..."

The corrections NFHS posted to their website last week stated...
"Page 70, 9.1 COMMENT: Sentence 2 should read: Once a free throw begins no player may enter or leave a marked lane space or break with either foot the vertical plane of a free throw lane line or lane space boundary prior to the release of the ball by the free thrower. Delete last sentence.

So, NFHS has stated it, maybe not as obvious as they could have.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2014, 06:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They will probably give us an unannounced editorial change next year.

That's what I would say if I wasn't still waiting on them to fix another glaring hole in the rules.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2014, 06:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thinking Alike ...

Quote:
We were also told to ignore any contact as incidental unless it's intentional, or flagrant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
During a live ball?
It doesn't make any sense to me either, but that's what we were told. I'll follow up on this as soon as our interpreter's Power Point is posted on our board's web page.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Oct 19, 2014, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Quote:
Delete last sentence.
And replace with what?

I don't know how to react? Boom goes the dynamite? The plot thickens?

Should I be more confused, or less confused?

Are Connecticut IAABO, IAABO International, and the NFHS, all on the same page?

I'm confused.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 19, 2014 at 07:06pm.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Free Throw Line ???

Quote:
I'll follow up on this as soon as our interpreter's Power Point is posted on our board's web page.
Here's the text of the Power Point slide:

If the defender along the free throw lane line breaks the plane of the free throw line, a violation has occurred. Use delayed violation signal. Hold whistle until free throw is completed. If free throw is made, ignore violation; if free throw is missed, award a replacement free throw. (9-1-3-B)

Here's the explanation given by our local interpreter:

The ruling was a NFHS response received by IAABO.

Anybody hear anything new regarding this ruling?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 10, 2014 at 07:23am.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS included a statement in the casebook 9.1 Comment ... "Once a free throw starts, no player occupying a marked lane space may enter or leave such space or break with either foot the vertical plane of any lane or lane-space boundary until the ball touches the ring or backboard or until the free throw ends..."

The corrections NFHS posted to their website last week stated...
"Page 70, 9.1 COMMENT: Sentence 2 should read: Once a free throw begins no player may enter or leave a marked lane space or break with either foot the vertical plane of a free throw lane line or lane space boundary prior to the release of the ball by the free thrower. Delete last sentence.

Billy's clarification is dealing with the Free Throw Line. This clarification makes the comment consistent with the change back to "on release." I don't see it addressing breaking the plane of the free throw line Billy is talking about.

I haven't heard anything in Illinois/nfhs on the free throw line. I agree with Rich1 on calling a foul if it is one etc.

Billy, hopefully your state will deal with the ignoring contact unless intentional etc. maybe they just thought violation usually equals dead ball and ignore all other contact. If there's common foul blocking out the free throw shooter it be nice if you could call it.

01-34066
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's the text of the Power Point slide:

If the defender along the free throw lane line breaks the plane of the free throw line, a violation has occurred. Use delayed violation signal. Hold whistle until free throw is completed. If free throw is made, ignore violation; if free throw is missed, award a replacement free throw. (9-1-3-B)

Here's the explanation given by our local interpreter:

The ruling was a NFHS response received by IAABO.

Anybody hear anything new regarding this ruling?
We heard (by inference) just the opposite. The rule interpreter gave an example of breaking the FT line plane and boxing out the shooter and we needed to watch for a foul. Never said anything about it being a violation.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2014, 04:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Blurred Lines ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The rule interpreter gave an example of breaking the FT line plane and boxing out the shooter and we needed to watch for a foul.
And this text was on the following Power Point slide:

If there is contact on the free throw shooter by the defender who breaks the free throw line plane, ignore contact unless intentional. (9-1-3-B)