The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 02:52pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Over an entire season both Official A and Official B have an overall 90% rating for call accuracy.

Official A is 95% accurate in the last minute of games.

Official B is 85% accurate in the last minute of games.

Who do you think will be more favorable in the eyes of the supervisor?
I'm replying to this since you deleted or edited the post I replied to just a minute ago.

And again... I agree with what you're saying, but this doesn't mean it's okay to call a play differently at the end of the game than at any other time during the contest.

Being scrutinized more for calls at the end of a game does not mean it's okay to kick earlier calls. It just means your going to catch more flak for the ones you miss at the end.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 03:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm replying to this since you deleted or edited the post I replied to just a minute ago.

And again... I agree with what you're saying, but this doesn't mean it's okay to call a play differently at the end of the game than at any other time during the contest.

Being scrutinized more for calls at the end of a game does not mean it's okay to kick earlier calls. It just means your going to catch more flak for the ones you miss at the end.
Some people like to look at it as "I'm calling the game the same in the last 2 minutes as I did in the first 38 minutes".

I like looking at it as "I want to call the game in the first 38 minutes with the same concentration as I do in the last 2 minutes"

Our goal is to be consistent throughout the game, no doubt. But I know we all makes mistakes. I also know I need to be at my absolute best when we are in crunch time. So (in my mind) I know I'm going to be on top of my game in the last 2 minutes. My goal is to elevate the first 38 minutes to the same level of excellence that I have in the last 2 minutes.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2014, 03:26pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Some people like to look at it as "I'm calling the game the same in the last 2 minutes as I did in the first 38 minutes".

I like looking at it as "I want to call the game in the first 38 minutes with the same concentration as I do in the last 2 minutes"

Our goal is to be consistent throughout the game, no doubt. But I know we all makes mistakes. I also know I need to be at my absolute best when we are in crunch time. So (in my mind) I know I'm going to be on top of my game in the last 2 minutes. My goal is to elevate the first 38 minutes to the same level of excellence that I have in the last 2 minutes.
Agreed.

Except that I'm a high school official, so there are only 32 minutes in my games.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Three Be's ...

We had a statewide mechanics clinic a few weeks ago. A state interpreter, from another New England State, discussed making a call out of one's primary coverage area (two person game).

He said to:

1) Be late. Give your partner a chance to make the call.

2) Be right. 100% certain.

3) Be needed. A call that has to be made in that game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 11:08am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We had a statewide mechanics clinic a few weeks ago. A state interpreter, from another New England State, discussed making a call out of one's primary coverage area (two person game).

He said to:

1) Be late. Give your partner a chance to make the call.

2) Be right. 100% certain.

3) Be needed. A call that has to be made in that game.

The first two are solid. The third is a gray area.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The first two are solid. The third is a gray area.
1+2=3

If you are late and gave your partner a chance to get the call
Plus
if you are right and 100% certain
equals
You are needed and it is good for the game.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 12:57pm
Stubborn Member

How do you determine if a call is "needed"? If it's the right call then I believe you should make it.

And I would hope you'd have a good reason as to why you were looking outside of your PCA in the first place. A supervisor may want to know.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How do you determine if a call is "needed"? If it's the right call then I believe you should make it.

And I would hope you'd have a good reason as to why you were looking outside of your PCA in the first place. A supervisor may want to know.
Not needed: ball handler in the trail's primary lifts his pivot foot prior to dribbling but doesn't really go anywhere. Tail could call this, but doesn't. Lead had a great view and nails it.
That's the call that's not needed.
Needed: By sticks his leg out and trips A1 as he drives around B1 at the 3 point line in trail's primary. Tail doesn't call it, but the lead comes up and gets it. That needed to be called.

The threshold is somewhere in the middle, and knowing where it is at any given time is a key to bring a great official.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you call exactly the same way in a close game that you do in a blowout? Do you call exactly the same way in a varsity game between two good teams and a 3rd grade game between the last and second to last place teams?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 17, 2014, 10:59pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Not needed: ball handler in the trail's primary lifts his pivot foot prior to dribbling but doesn't really go anywhere. Tail could call this, but doesn't. Lead had a great view and nails it.
That's the call that's not needed.
Needed: By sticks his leg out and trips A1 as he drives around B1 at the 3 point line in trail's primary. Tail doesn't call it, but the lead comes up and gets it. That needed to be called.

The threshold is somewhere in the middle, and knowing where it is at any given time is a key to bring a great official.
I understand what you're saying, but there's more that goes into a call/non-call than the actual play. I mean... what time of game is it? Is the game close? Are we talking about kids that are still learning, and don't need a ref that's a stickler for the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Do you call exactly the same way in a close game that you do in a blowout? Do you call exactly the same way in a varsity game between two good teams and a 3rd grade game between the last and second to last place teams?
Like I said to Adam, there are many factors that go into what needs to be called and what doesn't. But we didn't seem to be talking about a 3rd grade game between the bottom two teams in the league. At least I don't have any supervisors at those games, as the league tends to be happy just to have a competent ref.

Nor did anyone say that we're talking about a blowout. I took things as them occurring under "normal" circumstances. If you want to change the scenario in order to make a point... fine. I'm wrong.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2014, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

The manner in which such issues are processed by professional refs is referred to as "game management". This is essentially a cognitive approach to officiating as will be influenced by the game's situation and time, the competitive balance, and dare I say in this forum the temerity of the officiating crew.