The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 11:30pm
We don't rent pigs

We had a little one day clinic/camp deal today and the clinician/rules guy said he had conferred with our head state guy on this issue and that our interpretation is to be multiple touches while the defender is actively engaged with the ballhandler.

Touch......back way off........step up and touch again= nothing automatic

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
We had a little one day clinic/camp deal today and the clinician/rules guy said he had conferred with our head state guy on this issue and that our interpretation is to be multiple touches while the defender is actively engaged with the ballhandler.

Touch......back way off........step up and touch again= nothing automatic
Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective of what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays within a closely guarded distance.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Oct 26, 2014 at 12:17am.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 12:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective if what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays with a closely distance.

I asked the question "Is time a factor?" He said that yes it was but 15 seconds was the longest it could be anyway, 10 in the backcourt 5 closely guarded. I didn't mention the fact that one could lose his LGP and still be close enough to touch because I think I got the point he was making and, like you, I think it is reasonable.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I asked the question "Is time a factor?" He said that yes it was but 15 seconds was the longest it could be anyway, 10 in the backcourt 5 closely guarded. I didn't mention the fact that one could lose his LGP and still be close enough to touch because I think I got the point he was making and, like you, I think it is reasonable.
PLus, it could be 10 in the back court and (almost) 10 in the front court if the player dribbles across for 5 seconds and then holds the ball for 5 seconds.

Even in the just FC it coul be (almost) 15 for hold-dribble-hold

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Oct 26, 2014 at 08:15am.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Even though I have debated this point on the other side from the perspective of what the rules actually say, I'm hoping that is the way it eventually works out.

Something like...two touches while the defender continuously stays within a closely guarded distance.
I agree Cam. Keeping it within the scope of the same defensive encounter makes the most sense to me - hope it settles out that way. Maybe this question needs to get booted to our SRI so we can get a clear interpretation.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
PLus, it could be 10 in the back court and (almost) 10 in the front court if the player dribbles across for 5 seconds and then holds the ball for 5 seconds.

Even in the just FC it coul be (almost) 15 for hold-dribble-hold
Even 25 is possible....just short of ten holding the ball straddling the division line then pivoting into the frontcourt for 5+5+5 more.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I talked with our Assignor/Interpreter last night, after our Rules Clinic. I told him about the discussion, here, regarding 10-12, multiple touches. I told him about the idea of a closely-guarded situation being a possible guideline.
He ended our discussion by saying that the concept seems reasonable, and that will be the interpretation in our state.
The only concern I have from our discussion, is that when I introduced the subject, he seemed to have had no idea that it could be an issue. Hopefully, the disemination of that interpretation will be forthcoming.
We'll see how it plays out. We're still 4 weeks away from our HS season, although fall leagues are in full swing.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I talked with our Assignor/Interpreter last night, after our Rules Clinic. I told him about the discussion, here, regarding 10-12, multiple touches. I told him about the idea of a closely-guarded situation being a possible guideline.
He ended our discussion by saying that the concept seems reasonable, and that will be the interpretation in our state.....
Does he have a say in your state's rules interpretations?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Does he have a say in your state's rules interpretations?
Yes, he works for the State High School Activities Assn., and is their voice regarding any interpretations.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2014, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Heard here last night:

One touch may or may not be a foul, depending on if it affects RSBQ.

The second touch by the same defender in the same "guarding situation" (I think that's the wording used -- meaning the max 15 seconds of the closely guarded counts, if in the FC) is automatic. Two hands, extended arm bar, one hand left on are also automatics.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2014, 12:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Well had another meeting tonight where this issue was discussed. Basically there is no such "second touch" automatic fouls for the situation that we were discussing here. RSBQ was referenced several times and I will likely get the PowerPoint and show what was stated from the IHSA people.

As I said, the NCAAW interpretation does not apply here and never was intended to be.

Peace