The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

I must be misunderstanding Case #1 if my ruling is not applicable.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... in the spirit of "teaching to fish"
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll learn to sit in a boat, and drink beer, all day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 05:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

These questions can't be answered (the way the original poster intended the situation to be) until the original poster cleans up his language in regard to whose basket is really being shot at. Otherwise, we will confuse ourselves to death trying to answer the questions. We can try to figure out what he really meant, but we're not mind readers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
I must be misunderstanding Case #1 if my ruling is not applicable.
It is not a try when a player attempts to score at the wrong basket. Look under the definition of a try.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It is not a try when a player attempts to score at the wrong basket. Look under the definition of a try.
The OP's situation described the player shooting at his "own basket," which would be a try.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 08:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll learn to sit in a boat, and drink beer, all day.

I'll drink to that.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These questions can't be answered (the way the original poster intended the situation to be) until the original poster cleans up his language in regard to whose basket is really being shot at. Otherwise, we will confuse ourselves to death trying to answer the questions. We can try to figure out what he really meant, but we're not mind readers.
Quote:
The OP's situation described the player shooting at his "own basket," which would be a try.

Well, his subject did indicate the shots were at the "wrong" basket even if his subsequent description was not consistent with that. Given that "wrong" is pretty much clear, it doesn't matter if he doesn't understand the technicalities of which basket belongs to each team. His point and questions were clear enough.

The actions in the OP's cases were not trys.

Then, the question about whether the action (in case #1) is legal or not depends on other factors not mentioned. Did the player move/jump in the process of throwing the ball at the wrong basket and retrieving the ball?

In the 2nd case, the ball becomes dead at the time of the foul and it is not a shooting foul. The fouled player would only shoot FTs if his/her team were in the bonus. The basket will only be counted if it had passed through the basket at the time of the foul, otherwise, no score since the ball would have been dead.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Sep 29, 2014 at 10:15pm.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 10:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Clear ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
His point and questions were clear enough.
Clear? Really?

Quote:
Quote:
The subject line "wrong basket" does give us a clue about what he wants to know, and I think that I know what he means, but his actual post wording has still created a lot of confusion on the Forum, among some pretty astute Forum members.

I like Camron Rust's answers, but they can still be challenged based on confusion regarding the wording "own basket".

It's just a poorly written question that really can't be answered.

Do you still beat your wife? Do you really want to answer that?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 29, 2014 at 10:39pm.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Assumptions continued

Assuming that the OP intended the question to be about a player who is "shooting at the wrong basket" and therefore ignoring how said basket is labeled, then I posit the following for consideration:

The legality of #1 would depend on what he did before he let go of the ball and what he did after he caught it. This could be a traveling violation if he moved without starting a dribble (but not just because he threw the ball in the air and then caught it). Since this is not a TRY then any dribble/pivot situations have not ended. Most likely would have to be a judgement call. See 4.44.3D(b).

In #2, a player who has been fouled will only shoot free throws at their own (correct) basket; never at an opponents basket unless you have screwed up. And, we would only be shooting free throws in this situation if his team was in the bonus.

Also in #2, the basket would not count because, since it is not a TRY, the ball is dead when the foul occurs. It does not matter if the ball has been released or not -it is no different than a ball in the air that has been passed between teammates. Another way to look at it is to consider that if the shooter would not get two free throws if he was fouled and missed in this situation then the basket won't count if it went in. See 4.41.2
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Also in #2, the basket would not count because, since it is not a TRY, the ball is dead when the foul occurs. It does not matter if the ball has been released or not -it is no different than a ball in the air that has been passed between teammates. Another way to look at it is to consider that if the shooter would not get two free throws if he was fouled and missed in this situation then the basket won't count if it went in. See 4.41.2
That depends on the order of events since "shooters" can be fouled even after the try is successful if they have not yet returned to the floor (perhaps it was a dunk or from very close).

If the ball went in before the player was "fouled" the basket would count...but for the other team, of course. And in that case, there would actually be no foul unless it were intentional or flagrant since the ball would be dead once it passed through the basket and the "fouled" player would not get the benefit of being an airborne shooter since he/she is not even a shooter.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 08:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Clear? Really?

The subject line "wrong basket" does give us a clue about what he wants to know, and I think that I know what he means, but his actual post wording has still created a lot of confusion on the Forum, among some pretty astute Forum members.

I like Camron Rust's answers, but they can still be challenged based on confusion regarding the wording "own basket".

It's just a poorly written question that really can't be answered.

My wife has a saying when I start getting picky about her words,
"Don't make me connect the dots when you already know what the picture looks like."

We knew what he meant based on the title and the 2nd scenario.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 08:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
"Don't make me connect the dots when you already know what the picture looks like."

Most definitely...and the fact that several people pointed out that he incorrectly labeled the baskets, so it was obvious what his intentions were with the question.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Immediately after a "defensive rebound" - it's clear (to most of us at least) that he did not actually mean his "OWN" basket (otherwise the questions are nonsensical anyway). He meant the basket his team was defending ... the opponent's basket.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agree. And the fact that it would be nearly impossible to grab a defensive rebound, throw it the length of the court towards your own basket, and then catch it before it came down.

It makes perfect sense to point out the incorrect language, but when otherwise intelligent officials act confused with the intent of question just to make a point, it makes the entire thread more confusing.

Quote:
Answer: "No, Never have."

Last edited by HokiePaul; Tue Sep 30, 2014 at 10:06am.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
It makes perfect sense to point out the incorrect language, but when otherwise intelligent officials act confused with the intent of question just to make a point, it makes the entire thread more confusing.
You mean like relabeling time-outs as an "extended stoppage of play"?

Who would do that?