The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 07:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Interesting. Is this for all jump shooters everywhere? Just the ones shooting from the arc? Anyone outside the lane?

I'll agree that the threshold for advantage moves a little on a jump shooter from a greater distance, but contact on someone who is shooting is still subject to the incidental contact rule.
When it is contact that is clearly not legal defense (which poking someone in the stomach is clearly not), yes. I'm with BNR on this one.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2014, 08:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
When it is contact that is clearly not legal defense (which poking someone in the stomach is clearly not), yes. I'm with BNR on this one.
I agree, and if that's what was meant, then there's nothing separating us. I was, however, taking exception to the statement that all contact against a jump shooter is a foul all the time.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

The majority understood the message...

Quote:
I agree, and if that's what was meant, then there's nothing separating us. I was, however, taking exception to the statement that all contact against a jump shooter is a foul all the time.
"There is no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter" is the way I had it presented to me by someone I really respect, and that phrase/philosophy has stuck with me. You're right, the rulebook says incidental so if we were arguing in a court of law you win--but I think everyone understood what it meant.

I will stand by the statement though, if someone in the act of shooting gets hit, I'm calling a foul. If you're going to reply with well any and all contact includes a defenders right thumb grazing the shorts on the left leg of the shooter--well whether or not I call that depends on if the out of bounds line around the court is red, blue or green.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You call any and all contact on a jump shooter?
If the defender is vertical, then they are legal and the contact is not their fault.

But in the case described in the OP, that's a foul.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
If the defender is vertical, then they are legal and the contact is not their fault.

But in the case described in the OP, that's a foul.
Great point. I was envisioning the scenario as relating to the defender coming towards the shooter as they do when they do the "poke."
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountTheBasket View Post
"There is no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter" is the way I had it presented to me by someone I really respect, and that phrase/philosophy has stuck with me. You're right, the rulebook says incidental so if we were arguing in a court of law you win--but I think everyone understood what it meant.

I will stand by the statement though, if someone in the act of shooting gets hit, I'm calling a foul. If you're going to reply with well any and all contact includes a defenders right thumb grazing the shorts on the left leg of the shooter--well whether or not I call that depends on if the out of bounds line around the court is red, blue or green.
Sorry, I generally cringe at absolutes.

No, I'm not going to discuss the thumb graze. We let a lot of contact go in the post, even on a jump shooter, when it has no affect on the shooter or the shot.

I'm thinking more of a scenario where a defender, approaching a jump shooter, doesn't quite get his hand high enough and ends up getting it on the chest (flat hand, not pointed fingers) as the shooter releases but there is zero impact.

I'm with BNR, my threshold moves a lot as we move out towards the 3 pt arc, but it's not automatic. I've heard coaches try telling me "contact with a shooter is automatically a foul", which is just flat out wrong, but it's seemingly what is meant by the statement "There's no such thing as marginal contact on a jump shooter."

Now, if I end up working for someone who wants the game called that way, I'll adjust. I'm not ready to retire.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

All you have to do is call this one time, this crap will stop. Players know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 26, 2014, 02:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
All you have to do is call this one time, this crap will stop. Players know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Peace
That was the other thing I was going to say, call it once and you won't have to worry about it anymore.