The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

And it begins...

Had my first 2 games of our local men's (w)rec(k) league fall/winter season last night.

Game #1 was chippy and I think the guys just wanted to beat the living s#!t out of each other. We kept it under control with a ton of whistles.

Had 1 player earn a T foul from me in the 1Q after being warned about him running his mouth about calls/no calls. He didn't say anything after that.

Same guy after the game decided to tell me and my partner "we need new eyes..." not creative at all and it's been heard before.

Game 2 was the complete reverse of game 1. Guys just wanted to play ball. No one said a word to us. Think we only called 12 fouls for the whole of game 2. Fun & easy to work.

In the end though I'll put up with the guys in game 1 to have it offset by guys in game 2. I love refereeing this game.

Have a great season everyone, see you on the message boards!!!
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Life is too short to put up with jackwagons in rec league. Give out the T's early and often.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 02:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I had my first game yesterday as well, 7th grade girls. Oddly, for the first week of the season, both teams played well for this level. Even the coaches were even well-behaved; I only fielded one polite question about a 3-second call I made. It must have been a full moon.

Witnessed a rather unusual FT strategy late in the game. A1 is shooting the last of two free throws. B4 is in her own front court near the foul line extended. As A1 gathers the ball before releasing it, B4 sprints across half court to be part of the playing action... and crosses the three point line before the ball hits the backboard/rim. She even did this on the substitute throw. [ETA: A1 made the substitute throw, so the violation was ignored.]

That said, it felt good to be back on the court again.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Thu Sep 18, 2014 at 03:02pm. Reason: Edited to clarify.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I had my first game yesterday as well, 7th grade girls. Oddly, for the first week of the season, both teams played well for this level. Even the coaches were even well-behaved; I only fielded one polite question about a 3-second call I made. It must have been a full moon.

Witnessed a rather unusual FT strategy late in the game. A1 is shooting the last of two free throws. B4 is in her own front court near the foul line extended. As A1 gathers the ball before releasing it, B4 sprints across half court to be part of the playing action... and crosses the three point line before the ball hits the backboard/rim. She even did this on the substitute throw.

That said, it felt good to be back on the court again.
Did she make the substitute throw?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 03:00pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Yes, she did.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

reffin adult men's (or women's) hoop rec leagues

1. most of the players are looking to find a "scapegoat" for their diminished playing ability. They will hollar "and - one" when they try for any contested shot --especially layups--which they will frequently miss in the face of slight defensive pressure. But do NOT be dis-armed by this as they are just missing contested shots.
2. Do call fouls frequently to keep it under control
3. Do issue technicals.
4. Maybe it'll be helpful to hold a brief pre-game conference with them prior to the start of game to clarify rules of play.
5. Have fun and continue to enjoy reffing!
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

I had my first game of the year/season - girls Middle School. It went OT. Oh woe was me!
Old Thu Sep 18, 2014, 08:23pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
I had my first game of the year/season - girls Middle School. It went OT. Oh woe was me!
Must have been the officials fault.....
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 12:23am
AremRed

Yeah I haven't figured out adult rec games yet. I worked a CPA (yes, accountants) tournament a couple months ago. They complained when they ran into legal defenders and didn't get a call, complained when they were called for obvious fouls. Dudes who played in college complained the most. My partner and I tightened it up, they complained. We loosened it, they complained. Barely worth it, but it was fun to have to deal with adult personalities. One dude lost it, left the gym screaming obscenities after committing an INT and getting a second tech. Fun times!

Guys that play in a regular league not just a one-off tournament seem to have better expectations on legal, illegal, and marginal contact.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 04:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
And it's obvious, Padgett wasn't his partner!

Hope you are well Mark!
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 04:18am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Yeah I haven't figured out adult rec games yet.
We have a good many men's Rec Leagues here - A, B, and C class. A being the better players.

If, and I say, if I do take a men's game, I go for the C games, only because the guys appear to be more into it for the exercise, fun, and camaraderie. These are mostly former HS or juco guys, and many of them are "older" players looking to run a bit on the weekend. I've had some enjoyable times.....for the most part.

Oft times, the "A" games consist of overly-competitive, wanna be's, who think they've still got "it." T's, arguments, fights - no thank you, I'll pass. Life's too short.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
1. most of the players are looking to find a "scapegoat" for their diminished playing ability. They will hollar "and - one" when they try for any contested shot --especially layups--which they will frequently miss in the face of slight defensive pressure. But do NOT be dis-armed by this as they are just missing contested shots.
2. Do call fouls frequently to keep it under control
3. Do issue technicals.
4. Maybe it'll be helpful to hold a brief pre-game conference with them prior to the start of game to clarify rules of play.
5. Have fun and continue to enjoy reffing!
As for men's rec: I agree with all but #4..good luck clarifying any rules with these guys, you could be in pre-game forever, debating endless commentary before even tipping off. I would limit it to a broad statement of just how much lip you are willing to take before running them.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Yeah I haven't figured out adult rec games yet. I worked a CPA (yes, accountants) tournament a couple months ago.
Didn't you know that "CPA" stands for "Can't Play at All"?
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
And it's obvious, Padgett wasn't his partner!

Hope you are well Mark!
Thanks. I'm doing OK, but it's pretty definite my career consisting of tossing coaches is over.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
How'd you know. Of course it was.