The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 05:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To My World ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There are plenty of ADs and coaches who still think the 3rd official is unnecessary.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 05:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's True, It's True ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
This sounds like a post I would read on April 1st.
Did you know that Sidd Finch is now a basketball official?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Run 4-person basketball crew like they do in hockey

How about running a 4-person basketball crew like they do in hockey? Have 2 referees (who call all fouls & violations) & 2 umpires (who do the out of bounds plays).

The other idea would be, like others suggested, 3-person floor crew with the 4th person at the Scorers' table either doing the official book, running the scoreboard/clock, or overseeing the Timer & Scorer, while monitoring the benches.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How about running a 4-person basketball crew like they do in hockey? Have 2 referees (who call all fouls & violations) & 2 umpires (who do the out of bounds plays).

The other idea would be, like others suggested, 3-person floor crew with the 4th person at the Scorers' table either doing the official book, running the scoreboard/clock, or overseeing the Timer & Scorer, while monitoring the benches.
I don't think either of those suggestions would help with anything. The first would likely provide worse coverage in both areas. The second would improve anything. You would just be making the scorer/timer an official. Not really a change.

For four officials to be of any benefit, they would all have to be fully authorized to make all calls on the floor. The only real issue is the mechanics...positions and coverages.

I would suggest two leads whether the ball side lead would cover to the corner suits now done in some systems. The other lead would have off ball post play and/or curl plays. There would still be a t and a c with the t being dictated by the ball location.. But opposite the current system (opposite ball side) and the t would stay much higher to guarantee at least one new least would always be able to beat a fastbreak.

Another option would be to have 2 c's with the off-ball c working even lower than now and the on ball c working high but not trail high. The t would work higher but could roam across the court to be on he off ball side.

In both of these schemes, the rotations would be incredibly simple and there would never be a question of who I us supposed to be the new lead(s). It would only be minor shifting.

The primary benefit with either would be the provide one more possible angle for plays to be covered.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 02:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

One benefit of having someone cover C to C is the transition coverage between the tops of the arcs which the C is ideally positioned to get. If we go to 4-man with 2 Ls, it ends up being 2-man going up and down the floor -- just on both sides of the floor.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
One benefit of having someone cover C to C is the transition coverage between the tops of the arcs which the C is ideally positioned to get. If we go to 4-man with 2 Ls, it ends up being 2-man going up and down the floor -- just on both sides of the floor.
Not what I meant.

2 leads but still a center and a trail where only the trail takes off on transition to lead and the center would still lag behind to cover the start of the transition but would just continue to the endline instead of stopping at the ft line. By that time the old leads would be in the front court. Who is c or t would not be dictated by the lead anymore. Not sure what would be the key but it would only involve 2 of the officials (the c and t). Having any sort of rotation where 4 have to dynamically.shift in sync is likely to be very difficult if not impossible.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't think either of those suggestions would help with anything. The first would likely provide worse coverage in both areas. The second would improve anything. You would just be making the scorer/timer an official. Not really a change. .
Actually by having the Scorer/Timer be an actual official, the training & understanding of the rules is would be there. More often than not the scorer & timer is someone who was just asked to do the position with just the basic understanding of the game & who does not do rule/casebook studies.

The idea of copying how hockey officials operate is just another way to look at options. Another idea would be have 3 Rs & 1 U (similar idea to the 2 R, 2 L in hockey), have the 3 Rs do all foul/violation calls, & the U do the OOB throw-ins.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 10:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Actually by having the Scorer/Timer be an actual official, the training & understanding of the rules is would be there. More often than not the scorer & timer is someone who was just asked to do the position with just the basic understanding of the game & who does not do rule/casebook studies.
Quite frankly, an official in this position is overkill for all but the most important games. Rather than do this, I'd rather be on the floor working a game.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Quite frankly, an official in this position is overkill for all but the most important games. Rather than do this, I'd rather be on the floor working a game.
Exactly. Most scorers/timers do fine. Rather than cover for the 1 case that happens one time every few weeks, i would rather have one more angle on plays that happen several times per game. That would have a far greater impact on the game. Call accuracy should improve noticeably.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Words ???

Video replay?

Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Video replay?
Two more words....

Too disruptive
Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not For It, But Is It Inevitable ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Too disruptive
The NFHS allows video replay under some very specific situations at this time. Don't you think that, over the years, the video replay will "creep" into more situations?

Old Fri Aug 29, 2014, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The NFHS allows video replay under some very specific situations at this time. Don't you think that, over the years, the video replay will "creep" into more situations?
I hope not... At least not the way it is done now at the upper levels. One more official to improve the angles to get it right on the fly is far better than a 5 minute delay several times per game for just a few reviewable situations. Games Doylestown take an extra hour if you reviewed everything an extra official could see.
Old Sat Aug 30, 2014, 07:58pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No way I see this implemented at the amateur levels. There are plenty of ADs and coaches who still think the 3rd official is unnecessary, no way they'll go to 4.
This.

My opinion...this sounds like a solution in search of a problem. The NBE's response to the criticism of officials by people like Mark Cuban.
Old Sun Aug 31, 2014, 07:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Was just at a camp over the wknd, a clinician told us that currently under experimentation / consideration is the use of a four man crew--yes 4 refs on the floor during a game. The reasons this clinician proffered were: 1) to employ more refs for games, 2) to improve floor coverage.
Are 8 eyes better than 6 eyes? Are 6 eyes better than 4 eyes?
Presumably this would apply to upper level games of college and pro.
I predicted a 4-man crew a number of years ago. I posted to this forum, but can't find the post. I even included the mechanics they should use.

It was basically 3-man at each of the court, with a fixed L on each end line. Only the C and T move. Unused L rotates with the crew if they rotate at the other end of the court.