The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 10:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I am also glad for the change. Then again, I didn't have any problems officiating "rough" rebounding action, either.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2014, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Because it was the worst rules change I can think of in my career in the first place. Hardly anyone called the violation and it required officials to split hairs in order to call a violation in many cases. I hated the old rule.

Is that good enough for you?

Peace
I'm happy for the change, but I don't see any less hair splitting now than before.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 12:29am
We don't rent pigs

This violation has been ignored a lot for the past several years, becoming one of those "I hate to be the only one who calls this." If necessary, which hopefully it won't be, I can see myself being a pioneer now. Players in the lane while the ball is in the hands of the shooter is not something I think I can tolerate.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 06:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's A Violation, Call It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Players in the lane while the ball is in the hands of the shooter is not something I think I can tolerate.
Previous to the rule change, players in the lane while the ball was in flight was not something that I tolerated.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 07:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I can't tell if this is a sincere question or sarcastic. My question was sincere, I genuinely wanted to know what you thought.
It was both actually.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 07:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
This violation has been ignored a lot for the past several years, becoming one of those "I hate to be the only one who calls this." If necessary, which hopefully it won't be, I can see myself being a pioneer now. Players in the lane while the ball is in the hands of the shooter is not something I think I can tolerate.
I agree this was probably the reason why the rule was changed. But I don't think officials will continue to let players violate under the new rule. Now it will be beyond obvious when a player along the lane line enters early.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 08:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I agree this was probably the reason why the rule was changed. But I don't think officials will continue to let players violate under the new rule. Now it will be beyond obvious when a player along the lane line enters early.
I don't anticipate anyone making the call unless it's just as obvious as before. Again, the hair splitting just moves to a different point in time, but it's still going to be there.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't anticipate anyone making the call unless it's just as obvious as before. Again, the hair splitting just moves to a different point in time, but it's still going to be there.
I agree, but there would be violations here and no one would call the darn violation. I often would be the only person that called this violation, especially on the low block player. Most players would act like what they saw on TV. And IMO the rule was stupid for those individuals in the first place because they did what they saw instead of what the rule was. It was also a rule that often was called with more scrutiny or argument from coaches or players. I just hated the old rule and glad it has gone away. This is not the 1970. Maybe that worked then, but now things have changed.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 03:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inquiring Minds Want To know ...

Quote:
Now it will be beyond obvious when a player along the lane line enters early.
What would make it more obvious on the release than on the hit?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 07:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What would make it more obvious on the release than on the hit?
Prior to release all non-participants have eyes on the paint. After the release almost all eyes are following the flight of the ball. Human nature.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Primary Coverage For Fans ???

Quote:
Prior to release all non-participants have eyes on the paint. After the release almost all eyes are following the flight of the ball. Human nature.
If by nonparticipants you mean fans, I agree with the second statement. I disagree with the first statement. Prior to the release, most fans are watching the shooter's pre-shot ritual.

In any case, I don't care what the fans are watching. As an official I have my primary coverage responsibilities and that's what I'm observing. Of course, now, as the lead, instead of using my peripheral vision to watch for the hit, and listen for the hit, I have to get a good look at the shooter and his release.

Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 08:04am
Courageous When Prudent

I mean BENCH PERSONNEL. You know, where the coaches hang out. You asked what makes it more obvious and now you want qualify your question after the fact.

When have I ever took into consideration what fans think in anything I've ever posted Billy?
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 03:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

New Old Rule, Again ...

Quote:
When have I ever took into consideration what fans think in anything I've ever posted Billy?
Quote:
I mean BENCH PERSONNEL.
Sorry about the mix up. I really couldn't figure out what you meant by nonparticipants.

The only important thing about the new (old) rule is what the officials are observing. With the exception of the lead getting a better look at the shooter, we're basically watching, and calling, the same stuff that we watched, and called, before.

I have no problem with the new (old) rule, but I am of the opinion that the lead's job will be a little more difficult, having to get a clear view to watch the release by the shooter, whereas before, the lead could use his peripheral vision to watch for, and also listen, for the ball to hit. Now the shooter has to (almost) be in the lead's primary.

I'm also a little apprehensive about several players, all crowded in the lane, all trying for a rebound, getting an extra second (flight of the ball) with the new rule.

Unlike many on the Forum, I was officiating when we went from the release to the hit, and although it was wasn't a big change, it was a little easier to officiate with the "new" hit rule. Not by much, but it was a little easier.

I do like the rule change for one reason, because, now, the high school, college, and professional, rule sets will all be similar for this situation.

I'll adjust. I've adjusted to a lot of other changes over thirty-four years.

I still don't see why violations will be more obvious under the new rule.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 14, 2014 at 03:47pm.
Old Fri Aug 15, 2014, 12:06pm
C'mon man!!

Trail responsibilities

Can someone discuss trail responsibilities on free throws and my thinking that it would be nice for trail to be responsible for everyone outside the 3 point line?
Old Fri Aug 15, 2014, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I still don't see why violations will be more obvious under the new rule.
I agree with this, because I think of "obvious" as "obvious to the calling official", but I see BNR's point as "obvious to everyone in the gym, especially the coaches." Basically, more difficult to question. I'll add, though, that I've never really had a coach question this call (and I make 2 or 3 lane violation calls a year, probably), so I don't see a difference.