The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 09, 2014, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

question about double dribble

This is a question from a pickup basketball game, but nobody really knows the rules, so I thought I'd ask some actual referees.

1. A player is dribbling the ball, and then begins to pick it up. He touches the ball with both hands at the same time, but does not control it, and it bounces on the floor. He picks it up. Is this a double dribble (or some other violation)?

2. Instead of picking it up, he tap it to a teammate.

3. Instead of picking it up, he starts dribbling again.

4. Suppose he dribbles, then picks it up cleanly with two hands, and then tries to pass, but the ball slips out of his hands and bounces on the floor. He grabs the ball.

Thanks!
Old Sat Aug 09, 2014, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Short And Sweet ...

Fumble, dribble, fumble: Legal.

Dribble, fumble, dribble: Illegal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Aug 09, 2014, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't get it though - are you saying all four are turnovers?
Old Sat Aug 09, 2014, 09:04pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwza View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't get it though - are you saying all four are turnovers?
No, Billy was giving you the rule of thumb for these plays.

1. Legal

2. Legal

3. Probably illegal, depends if the referee has judged the dribble to have ended.

4. Depends if the referee judges the player to have fumbled (legal) or passed the ball (illegal).
Old Sat Aug 09, 2014, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a question from a pickup basketball game, but nobody really knows the rules, so I thought I'd ask some actual referees.

1. A player is dribbling the ball, and then begins to pick it up. He touches the ball with both hands at the same time, but does not control it, and it bounces on the floor. He picks it up. Is this a double dribble (or some other violation)?

2. Instead of picking it up, he tap it to a teammate.

4. Suppose he dribbles, then picks it up cleanly with two hands, and then tries to pass, but the ball slips out of his hands and bounces on the floor. He grabs the ball.

Thanks!
In general, it's always legal to recover a fumble. What is a fumble will be a judgement call.

I also want to point out that since you mention pick up ball, a lot of what players want to apply in games are NBA rules. What Billy pointed out (as far as fumbling and dribbling) is true for NFHS (US high school and NCAA) rules.

For the NBA, assuming the player had not used their dribble yet, may recover a fumble. The fumbler may only dribble if he recovers the ball before it hits the floor and/or he moves his pivot foot. If either of those occur, he may still recover but not dribble the ball after recovery.

In addition, under NBA rules, may not recover a bad pass (which can look like a fumble), even if he hasn't used his dribble. This is considered a self-pass (a concept only under NBA rules)

Again, the only reason I bring up these scenarios is when playing pick-up games, people tend to try and apply NBA rules such as not being able to recover your own airball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Aug 10, 2014, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fumbles ...

1. A player is dribbling the ball, and then begins to pick it up. He touches the ball with both hands at the same time, but does not control it, and it bounces on the floor. He picks it up.

Legal. One can always legally pick up a fumble.

2. Instead of picking it up, he taps it to a teammate.

Legal. If it's legal to pick up the fumble, than it must also be legal to tap the fumble.

Illegal dribble. The first dribble ended when the ball was touched with both hands.

Legal. One can always legally pick up a fumble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Aug 10, 2014, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

#3 is the only one that is a violation. When the dribbler touches the ball with both hands, the dribble has ended. When he dribbles again, violation.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2014, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bonus Question ...

Quote:
A player is dribbling the ball, and then begins to pick it up. He touches the ball with both hands at the same time, but does not control it, and it bounces on the floor. He picks it up ... He starts dribbling again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
... When he dribbles again, violation.
When is the violation called? When the ball is released toward the floor? When the ball is released toward the floor, and hits the floor? When the ball is released toward the floor, hits the floor, and is subsequently tapped to the floor?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 10, 2014 at 06:45pm.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
When is the violation called? When the ball is released toward the floor? When the ball is released toward the floor, and hits the floor? When the ball is released toward the floor, hits the floor, and is subsequently tapped to the floor?
You don't know it's a dribble until the ball handler touches it again after releasing it. Until then it could just be a really lousy pass.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 06:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

When Does The Violation Occur ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
You don't know it's a dribble until the ball handler touches it again after releasing it. Until then it could just be a really lousy pass.
I agree with you, but the definition states that the "second" illegal dribble starts when the ball is pushed, thrown, or batted to the floor.

4-15-3: The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing, or batting the ball
to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted.

Old Mon Aug 11, 2014, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

It's the same old crap that gets brought up everytime we have this discussion. If NFHS clarified it, you'd be the firsts to know.

Until then, just officiate. It's never been an issue -- and if you happen to call it too soon, just decalre an inadvertant whistle.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

From the time the ball touches both hands until the time the ball hits the floor might be 3 tenths of a second. Are we really splitting that hair?

And some people say there are no stupid questions. smh
Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 03:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Dribble ...

Quote:
From the time the ball touches both hands until the time the ball hits the floor might be 3 tenths of a second. Are we really splitting that hair?
Add a few tenths of a second if the official wants to wait until the ball is touched after it bounces off the floor before he calls the illegal dribble violation.

Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Okay BillyMac, if you want to wait 6 tenths of a second, by all means do.

Wait just as long as you want to.

As Bob said, just officiate the play.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Wed Aug 13, 2014 at 08:39pm.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 06:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Real Game Versus Test Question ...

Quote:
Just officiate the play.
I'm waiting until the ball is touched again to call an illegal dribble violation. As bob jenkins pointed out, this is a "gray area" in the NFHS rules, and I may be wrong on a written test question regarding this situation.

Sometimes (often) you have to officiate the game. Sometimes (seldom) you have to take a written test. In theory they should have the same answer, but sometimes theory and reality don't agree.