The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:00am
Back from the DL

So, we have two officials watching the floor in a women's college game, while the L gets the ball.

What's the down side here? What's the alternative?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
So, we have two officials watching the floor in a women's college game, while the L gets the ball.

Dead ball, I want every eye possible on the players to be honest.

Alternative? That ball will make its way back. I've even seen players from bench go get it. I might take a step away, towards the door, to catch it, but that's as far as I'm going.

It's a bad habit to get into, IMO.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Hokie,

I was under the impression that your advocated the same things I was taught. Sorry if I misunderstood.

That being said, I do not tell players to go get the ball. I ask them to "help with the ball." And I am not the one going to retrieve the ball, so we are going to sit there until they get the ball. And you can basically train players to the expectation early on in the game. Players learn very early what is going on and adjust accordingly.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 01:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Hokie,

I was under the impression that your advocated the same things I was taught. Sorry if I misunderstood.

That being said, I do not tell players to go get the ball. I ask them to "help with the ball." And I am not the one going to retrieve the ball, so we are going to sit there until they get the ball. And you can basically train players to the expectation early on in the game. Players learn very early what is going on and adjust accordingly.

Peace
This is basically what I do as well. I've never had to stand long, and whether "help with the ball" means A15 gets it himself, or sends his girlfriend to get it, I really don't care.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The down side? After the L takes about three steps towards the doorway to get the ball there are eight players in what would be his PCA - five gold, three black. Suppose the two #30s - who are closest to him but furthest from the C and T - get into something? He has no clue what happened plus the C and T have to get through other players to get to them.

The alternative is stand there and let one of them get it. As Adam said, the ball will make its way back. With dead-ball officiating emphasized at every camp I attended this summer - as well as keeping eyes on players while the ball is live let alone dead - turning our back to go get the ball isn't a good idea.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lot's Of Ways To Skin A Cat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
There is no NFHS rule ... that states players are supposed to retrieve a loose ball.
Nor is there any NFHS rule that states that the official must retrieve a loose ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I leave directing players to do things to their coach unless it is specifically addressed in the rules/manual/duties. That's why, for example, we say "you can't play with earrings" instead of "take out your earrings". Directing a player to "take out your earrings" is over-stepping your authority, as is (arguably) directing a player to go get the ball.
So, instead of saying, "Go get the ball", we can say, "We can't play without that ball". Hopefully the players will get the idea, and if they don't, we can come back with, "I'm not getting that ball".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 05:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nor is there any NFHS rule that states that the official must retrieve a loose ball.

So, instead of saying, "Go get the ball", we can say, "We can't play without that ball". Hopefully the players will get the idea, and if they don't, we can come back with, "I'm not getting that ball".
Everything we do is not in writing. Some times we just have to officiate.

Peace