The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Probably not, but he's getting less rope than a normal fan before I have him removed. I'm also filing a report with my association and the state.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Let's take this a step further.

Regular season game. AC starts chirping, so you tell the HC to control his bench. The AC gets up and moves off the bench, to another part of the gym. He remains mouthy.

Toss? Whack?
Well, if it is a regular season game I probably wouldn't be working one man mechanics so there would be an official by the bench to address the situation. But to address the probable question; Yes, I would tell the HC to control his bench. If the AC leaves the bench area I would have to think about this one for a moment...probably address it with the partner(s) at next dead ball. If he is still mouthy we need to decide if he is still an AC or a spectator (I can't remember seeing this addressed in the rules or case book). If he is a spectator and mouthy to the point of needing to be addressed, then I am telling the game administrators to try to calm him down before I have to address it (probably catch flack here for that, but I try to avoid tossing fans at "real" games). If we deem him to still be an assistant...whack.

I am going to need to ask about this at the camp I am attending in a few weeks. Honestly though, for now I am going to focus on the cruise I have between now and then (summer ball is over for me) .
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Regular season game. AC starts chirping, so you tell the HC to control his bench. The AC gets up and moves off the bench, to another part of the gym. He remains mouthy.

Toss? Whack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Probably not, but he's getting less rope than a normal fan before I have him removed. I'm also filing a report with my association and the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
If we deem him to still be an assistant...whack.
For funsies, at what point is he no longer bench personnel? Is it once he's beyond the confines of the bench area?

#2: Can he come and go?
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Who's watching the other 8 players?
They aren't being paid enough to look at those players.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
For funsies, at what point is he no longer bench personnel? Is it once he's beyond the confines of the bench area?

Honestly, if he heads back to the bench after sitting in the stands, I'm going to get ring him up then and there for leaving the bench.

If he never goes back, I'm going to assume he was out of place on the bench and never really belonged there.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

In a regular HS contest there is a penalty for team members leaving the bench for an unauthorized reason.
Strictly speaking, an assistant coach or team manager cannot stand up without receiving a technical foul, except for a few specific circumstances.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 03:30pm.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly, if he heads back to the bench after sitting in the stands, I'm going to get ring him up then and there for leaving the bench.

If he never goes back, I'm going to assume he was out of place on the bench and never really belonged there.
Can you please direct me to the language in the rules book stating that the assistant coach may not leave the bench during the game. Perhaps he needs to use the restroom.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In a regular HS contest there is a penalty for team members leaving the bench for an unauthorized reason.
But coaches are bench personnel, not team members... 4-34-4
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Can you please direct me to the language in the rules book stating that the assistant coach may not leave the bench during the game. Perhaps he needs to use the restroom.
Here's the rub.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Restroom ??? Authorized Reason ...

Quote:
But coaches are bench personnel, not team members... 4-34-4
Quote:
10-5-5 The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.

4-34-4 A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player.

10-5-5 is for team members, not for bench personnel. Interesting.

How about taking this approach (below)?

10-1-4 A team shall not: Fail to occupy the team member’s bench to which it is assigned.

4-34-2 Bench personnel are all individuals who are part of or affiliated with a team, including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, manager(s) and statistician(s).

4-34-2 implies that the coaches are part of a team, and thus, according to 10-1-4, coaches, being part of the team, must occupy their bench.

Note that 10-1-4 says "team" not "team members".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 03:54pm.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 04:54pm
Administrator

Quote:

Toss? Whack?

Whack!! Leaving the bench area for an unauthorized reason.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. I have a story about whacking a basketball HC for leaving the bench area, but it will have to wait of later tonight.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 04:57pm. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That would be an authorized reason, IMO. Going to sit in the stands and bitch to the officials wouldn't be.

You're right, the penalty would be for standing up: although I think 10-5-5 is meant to include coaches. I highly doubt the NFHS wants coaches to be able to move, at will, from the stands to the bench.

Is it ok for the AC to coach from the stands? What if he only moves during times he is legally authorized to stand (timeouts, intermissions, etc)?

If he wants to abdicate his role on the bench and become a spectator, I'll let it slide; but as soon as he makes it clear that wasn't his intent, he's getting stung for leaving the bench area for an unauthorized reason.

I'm applying 10-5-5 unless someone can convince me this isn't an example of a coach trying to give himself an advantage not intended by the rules.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Knowing Rich, I'm relatively certain he isn't trigger happy with the technical fouls. I can safely assume that if I saw this video, I'd happily concur with the first T. The second is automatic BY RULE.
There, fixed it for ya!
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
There, fixed it for ya!
Send me a bill.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Convinced ???

Quote:
I'm applying 10-5-5 unless someone can convince me this isn't an example of a coach trying to give himself an advantage not intended by the rules.
10-5-5 only applies to team members, who, by definition, are members of bench personnel who are in uniform, and are eligible to become players. 10-5-5 does not apply to bench personnel who are not in uniform, i.e. coaches.

It is my contention that 10-1-4 could apply to coaches, who are part of the team, and, thus, must occupy the team bench to which it has been assigned.

It does make a difference. 10-1-4 is only a technical charged to the team. 10-5-5 is a technical charged directly to the head coach, who must now sit, and is only one direct technical away from getting the old heave-ho.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 29, 2014 at 06:51pm.