The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

T For Illegal Jerseys?

I was at the AAU national tourney yesterday. In at least two games the game started with multiple FTs being shot due to the opponent having illegal jerseys. I think the issue is they were not white.

I haven't officiated in a few years so I went looking for any wording on that in my old books. Can't find it.

One game started with 10 FTs and the other started with 16 FTs.

Can someone give me some clarity on what may have occurred.

Thanks
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
I was at the AAU national tourney yesterday. In at least two games the game started with multiple FTs being shot due to the opponent having illegal jerseys. I think the issue is they were not white.

I haven't officiated in a few years so I went looking for any wording on that in my old books. Can't find it.

One game started with 10 FTs and the other started with 16 FTs.

Can someone give me some clarity on what may have occurred.

Thanks
I did find something online from 2013. Says it's a direct T to the coach. I assume it's only 1 T regardless of how many illegal jerseys, correct?
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 09:52am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
I did find something online from 2013. Says it's a direct T to the coach. I assume it's only 1 T regardless of how many illegal jerseys, correct?
Correct, as per 10-5-4.
PENALTY says, "Only one techinical foul is charged regardless the number of offenders.
Bad part for the violating team is that it's a direct on the coach, so when you ask, "Are your players properly and legally equipped?" and he says "Yes", and they're not. . . .
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Correct, as per 10-5-4.
PENALTY says, "Only one techinical foul is charged regardless the number of offenders.
Bad part for the violating team is that it's a direct on the coach, so when you ask, "Are your players properly and legally equipped?" and he says "Yes", and they're not. . . .
Thanks. Same in college? I ask because I think this tourney was using college rules.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When the rule first changed, the penalty was free throws for each violation. The change to only one direct T to the head coach occurred a couple of seasons ago. Maybe these officials didn't get that memo.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 10:16am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Thanks. Same in college? I ask because I think this tourney was using college rules.
Others can best answer that correctly.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

They gave a crap about illegal jerseys in an AAU tourney? Yikes.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 11:14am
This IS My Social Life

Say It Isn't So, Ethyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
If so, there might be hope for the world yet.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 11:19am
AremRed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If so, there might be hope for the world yet.
I wouldn't give a crap either. The only games that officially use NFHS rules are produced by those schools and organizations which pay to be members. All other games simply use them as "general basketball rules". AAU wants to play, not fuss over illegal numbers.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 11:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If it's a national tournament, most definitely.

We can't complain when AAU is rag tag, then complain if they care about the rules. (Even though they enforced it wrong)
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If it's a national tournament, most definitely.

We can't complain when AAU is rag tag, then complain if they care about the rules. (Even though they enforced it wrong)
Is there some directive to give a T for this? I have yet to ever have anyone in AAU make any complaint or suggestion that this should be called. Maybe at the national tournament it is an issue, but every other tournament I see many jerseys that are not exactly illegal if we go be the rules standard.

And yes I am an expert with all the crap the IHSA put us through with jerseys.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 01:30pm
Back from the DL

Typically, it comes down to those who hire the officials.

I've officiated many an off-season game and scrimmage where illegal uniform rulings would never be considered. If IAABO assigns me, though, my instruction is to do my job and rule on it (save the typical Y-league game).

I believe I've told this story one here already: I had a middle school pair (girls, then boys) at the season's beginning. As I'm checking the book for the first game, I noticed what I should have noticed during warmups: the home team had numbers 6, 7, 8, and 9. (The principal ordered international numbers. He said he was a "hockey guy" and didn't know.) The coach, who played college ball, grumbled, not at me, but at the school for ordering them. ("I told them!")

Our instructions are to tape such numbers to make them legal, and while I was trying to figure out how in the hell you make such things happen with 6, 7, 8, AND 9, the coach says, "we have the old ones in the locker room." Beautiful! Problem solved, and the second game followed suit.

Yes, there are those that wouldn't have bothered with what I did. But I wouldn't be following boss's orders, and just as important, I would have made it the next crew's problem, who would also have the additional complaint, "but the last refs said it was okay!" Sometimes, you have to deal with dreck to save the sanity of your cohorts.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Typically, it comes down to those who hire the officials.
I agree, but for this piece, typically AAU does not make an issue out of jerseys and the legality to the rules adopted for that particular tournament. I am sure that there are some places, but you just do not see this will all the teams across the country that come to certain places and their behavior about these kinds of issues. AAU is such a mixed bag of expectations and standards that it is often you hear a coach tell you they were not aware or act surprised when you enforce even regular playing rules. It is basically the wild, wild west.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 03:27pm
Official & Member

I worked an AAU national tournament a week ago. I recall reading their rule deviations from the Fed (which is what they use as their primary rule set). From the AAU website, Rule IV, Section G. regarding National Tournaments:

1. Players' jerseys must have numbers on both the front and back.
2. Numbers can be 00-99.
3. Minimum size of numbers shall be 2" on the front and 4" on the back.
4. Teams competing in National Championship tournaments must have white and dark jerseys.
5. Home wears White jerseys and Visitor wears Dark jerseys.
6. The top/left team on the schedule shall be the home team and sit on the scorekeepers’ left.
7. The bottom/right team on the schedule shall be the visiting team and sit on the scorekeepers’
right.
8. Violation of Section G.5. shall be penalized by a two (2) shot administrative technical foul for each illegal jersey. The penalty will be assessed at the time the player with the illegal jersey enters the game.

I'm guessing the national administrator at the game site insisted that it be enforced as written. Before anyone asks: http://image.aausports.org/handbooks...L-HANDBOOK.pdf

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Jul 25, 2014 at 03:33pm.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2014, 03:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thanks BZ, now that you bring it up, I remember that happening here once.